Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: A warrant out for my arrest!?!?!

Belok,

Call the court, yes. But DO NOT go down there in person. Talk to a lawyer, and only go down there if you are advised. In fact, I really think you should speak to an attorney before you call the courthouse. You're going to have to get one anyway, and why not get his advise now, rather than later?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your dad ignored it/never put 2+2 together

[/ QUOTE ]

now that's just plain confusing for OOTers.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinly veiled brag his dad isnt Sklansky?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if his dad would have posted the question here instead of getting drunk and ignoring the mail, the OP wouldn't be getting his ass pounded in prison soon.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:10 PM

I had a warrant out for my arrest for a failure to appear also. Here's what happened:

I'm driving to school during finals week in December. I never speed, always use my blinker, pretty much don't ever want to get pulled over again. So I'm like WTF? and pull into the nearest parking lot. Some young officer comes over and says "Do you know it's illegal in California to have your front windows tinted?" I said "Yes, but I don't think they are. I just bought this truck used... how do you check if they are tinted?" My front windows are BARELY tinted, my rear ones are pitch black. Also, I look around just in the parking lot I'm in and every single vehicle had darker front windows than mine.

He asks for my license and registration blah blah blah. Goes back to his car for a bit, and comes back to ask me if I still live in Stockton. I tell him that I have an apartment up here in Sac for school and that is still my parents address. So he says "OK, well I'm not going to write you up about your windows (they probably are legal, douchecop). Instead, I'm just giving you this (hands me yellow ticket). There's no fine, no court, no anything. You just have to go to DMV within 2 weeks and change your address, you'll get a little brown card with proof that you changed and that's all you need to do. Good luck in school."

So I'm thinking w/e, big deal. I go to the DMV near my parents house 2 days later and change my address. I'm done with school and I'm spend the rest of my break down there. I come back January 2nd to a letter stating that I had a court date on December 22nd or had to pay $10 before then. Obviously I did neither since I never got this letter (which I would have received at my parents house if I didn't change my address). I'm like OK? Cop said I didn't have to do anything but change... w/e. Two weeks later I get a "WE HAVE A WARRANT OUT FOR YOUR ARREST, SON" in the mail. I think it gave me a new court date for the failure to appear or I had to set one up.

You go to the courthouse, they have you watch some stupid movie with a chuck-norris lookalike informing you of your rights. It makes little sense and most of the place is filled with mexicans and russians, but this thing is only in English. Here's the tricky part... when it's your turn to get up, you only have 3 word choices to say to the judge. If you start talking randomly, she assumes you plead guilty. This was a serious shock and I was fkn scared because I didn't know what word I was supposed to use (Guilty, Not Guilty, or _____ (speak to the DA, forgot it).

I speak to the DA, explain everything above, and she writes it off and I just have to pay the $10 I was supposed to earlier. Super easy. I'm guessing you can do the same thing with your FTA. Just have your dad write down his statement or something and explain your story to the DA.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if his dad would have posted the question here instead of getting drunk and ignoring the mail, the OP wouldn't be getting his ass pounded in prison soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen at least 30 people with failure to appears plea guilty, I think 0 of them actually went to prison. This includes probably 30 poor people, not being poor = easier to avoid prison.

EDIT: I totally forgot about the possession charge and have no idea what it carries. Sounds like OP will have at least 2 warrants out for his arrest now. The FTA should be easy to drop though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Lawyer up NOW.

If your original cite was for possesion, you want to get that knocked down to what your girlfriend got, or less. You DON'T want a posession conviction on your record.

MM MD
Old 03-11-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure all of this is just banter/humor, but in response (because it does matter)

I told my dad about the ticket the day after it happened. He has kept his eye out for any court-related mail just in case anything came for me.

NOTHING was sent - absolutely nothing. Neither myself or my dad have received any information about this case whatsoever.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lawyer up NOW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like my gameplan for tomorrow is
1) A call to the clerks office when they open
immediately followed by
2) A call to my lawyer

I want to leave this damn country and go to Canada.

Maybe step #3 will be calling an immigration lawyer and figuring out how to move to Vancouver.

[censored] cops.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM

woah this thread is kinda a wake-up call.

I was charged with possession at age 17. Got some DAT(sp?) ticket written, with a court date. Go to court with a lawyer, and the court says they will reschedule. We didnt see a judge, just a clerk.

3 years now and no mail, I just ignored it. Some cop friends say just forget about it, as it was probably dropped. And to add on to that, since im over 18, it gets dropped from my record AFAIK.

But yea, def check with the court/clerk to clear it up as you actually have a warrant out