Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Forum Project - Post Your Website Here!

hey guys.
sorry i'm kinda hopping on the bandwagon a little late. I've been looking into making money online for a while now and have a bunch of good ideas. I decided that the one i want to start with first is a forum much like 2+2 except discussing money making... everything from scalping tickets to 401ks and anything else that could do with money.

i managed to grab the domains doughtalk.com and talkdough.com along with their .net cousins.

what do you guys think of these names?

I have a limited knowledge of building websites but i'm very computer saavy so i can learn quickly.

do you guys have any recommendations about how to go about building this forum site. (i'm on a limited budget so free things are my friends [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Once i have it built i'll obviously be using adsense and probably a banner ad on each page that is relevant to it so under investing maybe an ad for etrade or something.

what free threads software do you recommend / any other ideas or recommendations.

finally for you SEO gurus...what are some good ways to market a forum site. should i bother with overture and adwords or should i just work on natural hits from pure seo?

thank you all for your advice and best of luck with your sites!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys.
sorry i'm kinda hopping on the bandwagon a little late. I've been looking into making money online for a while now and have a bunch of good ideas. I decided that the one i want to start with first is a forum much like 2+2 except discussing money making... everything from scalping tickets to 401ks and anything else that could do with money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a really poor niche to start in because its so hyper competitive. You'll find it so much easier in any one of a million or so other niches. But, since you're now even more motivated to make it work and prove me wrong, I'll see what I can do about your other questions.

[ QUOTE ]
i managed to grab the domains doughtalk.com and talkdough.com along with their .net cousins.

what do you guys think of these names?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not bad, but its more about getting them known than the actual domains themselves. Domains are only ever really bad if you have hyphens in them or two words next to each other where the last letter of word one is the first letter of word two.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a limited knowledge of building websites but i'm very computer saavy so i can learn quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

In which case I suggest immersing yourself in the wonderful world of the Internet for a week or so until you know what every acronym stands for and can do for you. You don't need to know how to do a lot of stuff to start with, just enough so you know what's out there.

[ QUOTE ]
do you guys have any recommendations about how to go about building this forum site. (i'm on a limited budget so free things are my friends [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

For the forum itself, PHPBB, its free and very powerful.

[ QUOTE ]
Once i have it built i'll obviously be using adsense and probably a banner ad on each page that is relevant to it so under investing maybe an ad for etrade or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Adsense really isn't the way to go for making massive profits. Its not bad for residual income but frankly I think other options provide much better earning potential.

[ QUOTE ]
what free threads software do you recommend / any other ideas or recommendations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite sure what you mean here.

[ QUOTE ]
finally for you SEO gurus...what are some good ways to market a forum site. should i bother with overture and adwords or should i just work on natural hits from pure seo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely don't bother with adwords until you've played the game for a while. You're just too likely to waste the traffic and suffer click fraud for it to be worthwhile.

Write masses of keyword dense articles related to your niche and surrounding topics and get them submitted to lots of places. Seems to be one of the best ways for generating traffic. Don't forget to setup a related blog and start posting in related forums.

[ QUOTE ]
thank you all for your advice and best of luck with your sites!

[/ QUOTE ]

y/w
Old 11-13-2006, 07:48 PM

I appreciate the concern, but cases in which domain name transfers have occurred involved "use in bad faith." I spoke to a few people about this issue. I actually don't have a problem changing names if someone could come up with a better one that describes my site. (Hopefully shorter than mine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) However, please take a look at the site first.

FYI
c. How to Demonstrate Your Rights to and Legitimate Interests in the Domain Name in Responding to a Complaint. When you receive a complaint, you should refer to Paragraph 5 of the Rules of Procedure in determining how your response should be prepared. Any of the following circumstances, in particular but without limitation, if found by the Panel to be proved based on its evaluation of all evidence presented, shall demonstrate your rights or legitimate interests to the domain name for purposes of Paragraph 4(a)(ii):

(i) before any notice to you of the dispute, your use of, or demonstrable preparations to use, the domain name or a name corresponding to the domain name in connection with a bona fide offering of goods or services; or

(ii) you (as an individual, business, or other organization) have been commonly known by the domain name, even if you have acquired no trademark or service mark rights; or

(iii) you are making a legitimate noncommercial or fair use of the domain name, without intent for commercial gain to misleadingly divert consumers or to tarnish the trademark or service mark at issue.

W/o ads, it's not even a case. If I decided to use them, then (i) would apply, but the WIPO would serve as mediator in such a circumstance. (I did my HW [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ; It actually gave me an idea for my next niche. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

But like I said, I am open to available domain names. You can send a comment in the contact section of the site.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice! That's the second time in this thread I've been surprised at the domains that were available.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 AM

Ok, after some research, the niche I picked wasn't really that great so I decided to go with the fastest, easiest route with an account on blogger.

Roth 401k

I think I'm pretty much done for this site and going to pick another niche to work on w/ a domain and CMS.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 AM

Hey, I mentioned my site somewhere else, but here is the site I have so far. I used Drupal, phpbb, and a ton of drupal modules so far. I am really trying to work on adding some content now, and I want to get the front page working with some interest rate info, but that will be a bit trickier as I will likely have to write a semi complicated perl script to automate all the rates that I want to track. So the first page is just a placeholder for now. Feel free to signup and login and try and post a book review, or a story or something if you like.

www.interestmadesimple.com

Pancho

PS Comments on the forum would work if you got suggestions
Old 11-14-2006, 02:17 AM

Fellas, I was serious about the help with domain name change. You would be surprised how many people have trouble spelling entrepreneur. And trying to explain that it's "two" and not "2" is a whole different issue. Apparently I should have just chosen "LineWaitingatBestBuyforPS3.com" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By the was RSS feeds are a great way to add fresh info to your site. From what I read, if you do your site in php, google associates the content from these feeds to your website, which will improve your rank. Unfortunately, I went the MS route and chose html; so I'm using javascript for my feeds.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM

I think my site is about done. I did just about everything by trial and error as i had pretty much no idea what I was doing. If anyone can help me, I still need to change some stuff in the upper left hand corner
- I need to change Drupal to the site title
- I need to make it so Drupal and that thing next to it link to the homepage
If anyone can help me with these please do.

My Site is MonetizingYouTube.com

I've got more content to add in the using AdSense section. I will be detailing the each section. Also I will have to apply to AdSense myself soon.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Having YouTube in the name of your domain could pose a problem. At some point, they may go after you and you'd have to pick another domain name.

Not sure if you've checked out Revver. They've been getting decent amount of press regarding revenue sharing video site.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having YouTube in the name of your domain could pose a problem. At some point, they may go after you and you'd have to pick another domain name.

Not sure if you've checked out Revver. They've been getting decent amount of press regarding revenue sharing video site.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not gonna worry about having YouTube in the domain name for now, as its owned by google now and I plan on using AdSense. Not sure if this matters or not, but I'm gonna find out.

Also thanks for the revver site - I knew of some similar to that but none of them seemed very good.