Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 AM

Default Re: The elimination of all public schools

[ QUOTE ]

3) The government's only role in education becomes setting the voucher amount, setting the standards for schools, and certifying schools as meeting those standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a disaster. The biggest problem we have now with our public school system is the government oversight. If the government gets to define the standards and certify who has met them, then the govt essentially gets to define the schools, the curriculum, how they run, and what they can do. You will get the same thing we have now.

[ QUOTE ]

c) Should the government continue to require children to attend school through age 16, and if not, how does this affect your answers to a and b?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can see that mandatory school attendance is another major problem with our system. (not to mention a violation of civil rights in my opinion).

natedogg
Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The result would be an even wider economic gap as a group of kids get no educational push either from parernt or the government. Ultimately that will lead to more crime and more welfare that would incur greater social costs than a voluntary voucher system.

2. Oppose

3. Yes (including the current system of home schooling)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with the idea of having lower economic success for people that are less motivated? Should we not be rewarded for our good decisions and punished for our wrong decisions?

"the least government is the best government"
quote from the man who first came up with the idea of a school voucher program, Thomas Jefferson.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The vast majority of all poor/uneducated people do not become criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, but the poor / uneducated have much higher % of their social class that turns to crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not true that lack of education causes crime, which is one of the silly reasons always put forth for having public education.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1. The result would be an even wider economic gap as a group of kids get no educational push either from parernt or the government. Ultimately that will lead to more crime and more welfare that would incur greater social costs than a voluntary voucher system.

2. Oppose

3. Yes (including the current system of home schooling)

[/ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with the idea of having lower economic success for people that are less motivated? Should we not be rewarded for our good decisions and punished for our wrong decisions?

"the least government is the best government"
quote from the man who first came up with the idea of a school voucher program, Thomas Jefferson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is wrong with it as long as the more motivated arent saddled with transfer payments of one sort or another. If they are then its just another morobot UBI and the less motivated still achieve economic "success" at a level they find satisfactory.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical time! :-)

Suppose the following were to take place:

1) All funding for education is eliminated; in its place, every child is assigned a voucher, equal to the amount of funding that would normally be spent on that child, which may be used at any school meeting minimal academic standards

2) All school property is sold off, presumably to private and chater schools

3) The government's only role in education becomes setting the voucher amount, setting the standards for schools, and certifying schools as meeting those standards.

Two questions:

a) What would be the results of such a move?
b) Would you support or oppose such a move?
c) Should the government continue to require children to attend school through age 16, and if not, how does this affect your answers to a and b?

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy [censored], I thought of this idea years ago. I would love to see this happen.

I think the ratio of quality of education/ cost would be much higher. A lot of teachers currently just simply don't deserve the responsibility they have, and these people would move on to other jobs.

c) This is a close one. I think the parents ought to be able to decide if this is to take effect.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM

And so then you agree that government itself is a self-perpetuating problem?

Government is created by people.

people themselves are a self-perpetuating problem.

That is the beauty and the discrace of our own humanity. Everyone wants to be free, but sometimes our freedom and ideas interfear with other peoples ideas and freedoms.

There will never be a day in humanity where there isnt some form of grievience to be had. Through our difference in ideas we discover new ways of thinking and doing things. It is only when we refuse to grasp the concept that someone else might be right or have a better idea then ones own.

I dont really think before I type... I just start typing ***
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 PM

1. Awesome
2. Makes sense
3. Yep...it's my kids, not the government's...I decide

Doesn't Belgium do something similar to this already?
Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM

Good up until the part about schools being judged by arbitrary government standards.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Doesn't Belgium do something similar to this already?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and their society has collapsed into anarchy. All Belgians are now illiterate creationists.

Oh wait, the teacher's union is wrong. that isn't what would happen under school choice.

natedogg
Old 06-04-2006, 06:52 PM

Actually a number or countries allow school choice. Some of which have the highest levels or achievement such as Japan and Hong Kong.