Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Default How to play draws???

Hi guys,
there is one question, i havenīt got a satisfying answer yet.
How do you play draws? You can see permanently those guys who go all-in on the flop when they have an OESD or Flush-Draw, or if they dont go all-in, play them very aggressivly.
Is this the right way, or should one stick to the the odds for drawing.
What are your experiences? Especially NL50 and NL 100?
I play them normally for the pot odds, except, i have the feeling there is a certain fold ecquity.
Whats your advice?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Re: How to play draws???

I'm likely to vary this depending on the draw. If I have over 13 outs I'll push it hard and force the other guy to fold or take a coninflip.
Under 13 outs I'm not getting overboard unless I know the opponent is weak and likely to fold.

I think knowing your oppoent (notes, stats) is very important - you should tend to be aggresive with people whom have shown they know where the fold button is.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM

I think it depends on how good your draw is and how much FE you have. The better the read you have on a villain, the better your decisions will be. Here are two different combo draw hands that I played differently.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP1: $8.25
MP2: $23.65
CO: $7.50
BTN: $24.60
SB: $5.80
Hero (BB): $51.45
UTG: $5.20
UTG+1: $24.30
UTG+2: $27.35

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.25, 3 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.75</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.50, UTG+1 calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">CO bets $2.25</font>, Hero calls $2.25, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $6.75 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $4.50, UTG+1 calls $1.75

Turn: ($22.60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets $6.75</font>, Hero calls $6.75

River: ($36.10) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)
<font color="red">Hero bets $11</font>, UTG+1 calls $10.05 and is All-In

Results: $56.20 Pot ($2.70 Rake)
CO mucked J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-$7.50 NET)
Hero showed A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a straight, Ten to Ace) and WON $53.50 (+$29.20 NET)
UTG+1 mucked 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and LOST (-$24.30 NET)

Here, I had a solid read on villain and had them pegged squarely on 22 and knew that my FE was basically non-existent. I could've overshoved the flop, but decided against it to see if the turn paired the board. When it didn't, I was getting odds to just call on the turn, so I did.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

MP2: $5.80
CO: $22.15
BTN: $31.55
SB: $6.65
Hero (BB): $25
UTG: $5.15
UTG+1: $22.70
MP1: $6.05

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, 4 folds, SB calls $0.90, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($3) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to $5</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $5.65 and is All-In</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $24 and is All-In</font>, UTG+1 calls $16.70 and is All-In

Turn: ($52.05) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($52.05) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $52.05 Pot ($2.55 Rake)
SB showed 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (a pair of Eights) and LOST (-$6.65 NET)
Hero showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a flush, Ace high) and WON $49.50 (+$26.80 NET)
UTG+1 mucked Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-$22.70 NET)

Here, I didn't really know villains, but figured that if I called, a turn spade could kill action from UTG+1, plus I could gain some FE.

Remember that really good draws may actually be ahead of some made hands. For example, in hand 2 I was ahead of QQ, so the push was more about getting their money in before the scare cards come down as opposed to after. I tend to be more aggressive in situations like this as opposed to ones where I have just a FE or OESD. Of course, if I get shoved in, it becomes a matter of pot odds. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Like anything in poker there isn't one specific answer,it depends on many factors.

Your best bet is to post some hands that you are having trouble with, and try to include as many reads/stats as possible.