Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Wednesday\'s AP Post, Internal Audit Planned.

what does "in law or equitable" mean? are we talking like hammurabi's code type stuff? or maybe murder's ok cuz it's operations lie outside the US? could have exciting implications...
Old 10-17-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what does "in law or equitable" mean? are we talking like hammurabi's code type stuff? or maybe murder's ok cuz it's operations lie outside the US? could have exciting implications...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is in the other thread.

Law = statute
Equitable = common law

It basically means two bodies of law to go to under which they would bring an action.

On a side note, does anyone know if CR even has common law? As I understood it, common law was brought over from the English.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 AM

From the other thread

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

"Absolute Poker reserves the right to pursue any and all remedies whether in law or equitable which may procure to it as a result of any unlawful and injurious actions taken by any individuals who may have falsified any information, documents, files, or have by other means attempted to disparage and/or harm Absolute Poker, its Players, its current or former management, employees, business partners or affiliates."

Disturbing paragraph there at the end.

The above is a threat meant to scare people away from getting involved in this.

They're basically saying that they'll sue you if you harm their reputation at all. Even worse is the phrase, "Absolute Poker reserves the right to pursue any and all remedies whether in law or equitable", which seems to imply that they are reserving the right to find other ways to punish you if they can't sue you. That's what I presume the "equitable" part refers to. This might mean that they are now reserving the right to freeze your AP account and steal your funds if they determine you have "damaged" their oh-so-clean rep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just thought I would step in and clarify this - ‘Equitable’ in the email from Absolute refers to a legal concept that has no relation to any ordinary usage of the word ‘equity.’ In a nutshell, ‘equity’ is a parallel jurisdiction that historically operated separately to the common law [the general law], but now in most jurisdictions is more or less assimilated into the general law. Equitable remedies include powerful litigation remedies like injunction, and estoppel.

The use of the word 'equitable' is nothing sinister in itself, just stock standard legal jargon.

They do however seem to be hinting at possible legal action, should documents have been falsified, or allegations be unfounded etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully they will let me get involved. I'm a little scared to go to Costa Rica at this point to be honest, I'd want to set up some level of security for me if I did. Being on their turf in a Central American country (even though Costa Rica is relatively friendly to Americans) when I'm auditing them seems like a bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps a deal could be worked where you and 2 or 3 of the others that have been most involved in the details of all of this could work as sort of 4th party auditors of the auditors. Meaning you would travel to CR and be present during the audit and given the information and logic behind the conclusions on all levels.

I think AP allowing this would prove at the very least that its present management is truly dedicated to finding the truth and wanting to fix any problems and move on.

I hardly think that their reputation has reached the point of no return, as far as poker sites go at least. Other companies such as tylenol and chrysler have gone through far worse. AP simply needs to find a scapegoat, do a 180 on their stance for a while, offer some bonuses, and start counting their profits again.

Oh yeah, anybody want to speculate on what the response would be to AP announcing a software update sometime in the next week?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NVG anyone? I want to read BBV stuff in BBV forum

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol, dunno what I was thinking the first time around, maybe the fact that I'm so pissed of these kind of posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
These kind of posts will be around long after you will.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:13 AM

The way I see it, I could evaluate a lot of the info over the phone or on my computer.

Alternatively, one idea that was suggested to me on AIM was that AP put a large sum of money in a 3rd party's hands. If I don't come back safe, they forfeit it.

The 2nd idea sounds too complicated, but the 1st doesn't seem so hard to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nat clearly already has the heeby jeebies, no need to make him worse!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 AM

If you went to CR and didn't come back, there are many of us here who would have known you left. We'd also know how long we expected you to be there.

Presumably there would be records of your travel and intent with customs.

While I do believe the US govt has no jurisdiction over the gambling aspects of this situation, if a US citizen went missing during a predetermined-length stay, I'm sure the feds would be all over it.

Especially in this context where foreign party could have motive to make you dissappear.

Not that this would be any comfort to you either way.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 AM

so how much are they paying them to make it look like they are innocent?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 AM

if they were to bring you in to audit, it would be in good faith, a gesture to the poker community, showing they are doing all they can do rectify the situation.

if you then somehow went missing, their entire business would be done. frankly i don't think you are worth their whole business to them.