Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Default iTunes Help (End of My Rope)

My iTunes library is about 60% hand-loaded from my CD collection and about 40% purchased from iTunes. About a year ago, a certain subset (about two-thirds) of my purchased music suddenly would no longer play. A message would pop up to the effect that "This computer is not authorized to play this song."

I learned where the "Authorization" menu was, and I tried to authorize the songs in question, but no dice. The authorization process would go through just fine, but the same error message would pop up if I tried to play the song.

So I tried to get help from iTunes Support (lol). As you may know, iTunes offers no telephone support, so you have to e-mail them. Here are the e-mail exchanges, edited for length:

ITUNES:
Thank you for contacting the iTunes Store. My name is Dan and I understand that you have been unable to successfully authorize your computer to play some of your purchases. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this issue has caused and I will use every resource available to me to ensure your experience with the iTunes Store is a pleasurable one. I did a little investigating and found that you have multiple iTunes accounts: [MY EMAIL] and ksk833@hotmail.com. Please note that it is not possible to merge two or more accounts, and your computers need to be authorized for all of your accounts or some of your purchases may not play.

ME: This is incorrect. iTunes has made an error. The information indicated for each of the songs that will currently not play is that they were all purchased with the [MY EMAIL] account. I have never had an e-mail address of ksk833@hotmail.com. Please look into this further. We anticipate your prompt reply and remedy. Thank you.

ITUNES:
Dear Alison, [My name is not Alison]
I understand that you have not been able to play your iTunes purchases due to an authorization issue you have encountered. It will be a pleasure to provide you with information that may help resolve your situation. Make sure that both accounts are authorized in all of your computers or some of your purchases may not play.

ME:
My name is not Alison, it is [___]. You are not reading my e-mails carefully. I DO NOT HAVE AN ACCOUNT UNDER THE E-MAIL ADDRESS KSK833@HOTMAIL.COM. THAT IS SOMEONE ELSE'S E-MAIL, IT IS NOT MINE. ALL OF THE SONGS I PURCHASED WERE PURCHASED WITH [MY EMAIL] ACCOUNT. HOWEVER, A NUMBER OF THEM WILL NOT AUTHORIZE. Please look into this further and remedy this situation immediately. This is not a standard problem-- iTunes has made an error that involves erroneously tagging some of my purchases with an account and e-mail that does not belong to me. This cannot be solved with your form responses.

ITUNES:
Dear [Correct Name],
I apologize for any frustration this issue has caused and for the confusion in the previous email. I understand that you are still having authorization issues with your purchases. Please make sure that both accounts are authorized in all of your computers or some of your purchases may not play.

I'll spare you the remaining exchanges, which repeat the last one. I e-mailed ksk88@hotmail.com and got no response.

If you've made it this far or skipped to the end, what can I do to make those songs play? I gave up for about a year, but it's bothering me again. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: iTunes Help (End of My Rope)

What are the rules about authorization? Can you unauthorize and reauthorize as many times as you want? I only ask because it'd be nice to try on a different machine, to see if authorizing from scratch fixes the problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM

You can deauthorize and reauthorize at will, which I have done. The same basket of songs still think they belong to the ksk88 account. I've also re-downloaded iTunes. And punched the wall.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:30 PM

from the crack detective department:
http://www.emusic.com/profile/mycoll...ickname=ksk833
obviously cannot be sure if this is at all relevant... but apon further, borderline creepy review:
his location on emusic: "Location: Santa Monica, CA", name "kyle"
and assume your the same "Kyle Ahlgren"(listed in your profile here) as from "http://www.kahlgrendesign.com/" which whois is listed in "Santa Monica, California" here:
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIsVerify.a...rog_id=godaddy

is it at all odd that there's an account with the name "Kyle" on emusic from "Santa Monica,CA" with the username "ksk833"? did you create this account? why the username? or did you create ksk833 in the past and just don't remember it, the "forget my password prompt" for ksk833@hotmail.com is "Whoska?", does that mean anything to you?
... just a few questions, interesting implications potentially... hopefully helpful, good luck.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from the crack detective department:
http://www.emusic.com/profile/mycoll...ickname=ksk833
obviously cannot be sure if this is at all relevant... but apon further, borderline creepy review:
his location on emusic: "Location: Santa Monica, CA", name "kyle"
and assume your the same "Kyle Ahlgren"(listed in your profile here) as from "http://www.kahlgrendesign.com/" which whois is listed in "Santa Monica, California" here:
http://who.godaddy.com/WhoIsVerify.a...rog_id=godaddy

is it at all odd that there's an account with the name "Kyle" on emusic from "Santa Monica,CA" with the username "ksk833"? did you create this account? why the username? or did you create ksk833 in the past and just don't remember it, the "forget my password prompt" for ksk833@hotmail.com is "Whoska?", does that mean anything to you?
... just a few questions, interesting implications potentially... hopefully helpful, good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Nice work! Actually, we are two different people. He is some kind of graphic designer out west. I'm a lawyer in D.C and probably not as cool. People from high school or college google my name and congratulate me on winning a snow boarding competition or dating models and I have to disappoint them.

As for its relevance here, it looks like in his "investigation", iTunes "Dan" just turned up two accounts under my name and assumed it was the same person. And when I e-mailed the other Kyle Ahlgren (I didn't know it was a "Kyle Ahlgren" until now) he probably thought it was spam or something, and now I don't think it really has anything to do with him anyway.

Having cleared that up, why won't these songs play? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] And who's Alison? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 AM

Ask Apple to send you the password for that account, deauthorize all computers for that account, then reauthorize your computer, burn the songs to CD for backup, re-rip them under the new account.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask Apple to send you the password for that account

[/ QUOTE ]
Won't they just send the password to ksk833@hotmail? He can't access that, right?
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ask Apple to send you the password for that account

[/ QUOTE ]
Won't they just send the password to ksk833@hotmail? He can't access that, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would do this then send a polite email to the contact at http://www.kahlgrendesign.com/ explaining how apple got the situation messed up and what happened but this could present privacy problems on his end because generally ITunes account are tied into credit cards.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM

do you have the email reciepts to those songs?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Are you a Mac user or Windows?

google "removing DRM", shouldn't be too hard. if further Itunes problem persist, import collection into another music players.

take the ball into your own court, that's what i do in situations like this.