Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Default metagame BET/CALL (payoff)

full 10. Villain is the indian doc regular at the borg 10, for those who play there. he never bluffs big streets.

I raise AKo UTG. predictably 4 people cold call plus the BB.

Flop is A22 rainbow so it probably hit everyone. i bet, somehow 3 people find a way to call.

Turn is a J. I bet and 1 caller.

River is a 5 (there is no flush possibility). I bet, he stares at the board, tanks, and raises. this is always A5 but i feel i should payoff anyway for metagame.

anyone disagree?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: metagame BET/CALL (payoff)

If he never bluffs, I'm going to save my money. If I'm folding too many hands on the river and I feel like people are starting to take shots at me, I may call, but that would be very session dependent.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:07 PM

I don't know about this. If it's the type of game where you're getting those 4 coldcallers with hands like A5, I don't think they're paying attention enough for it to be worth paying the bet. I generally don't start doing things for metagame until it is obvious that the donks are playing differently against me. I'd fold and feel pretty good about it
Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM

Meh, if it's always A5, go ahead and fold. I won't mind when people start c/r me here with weaker aces than my own.

-McGee
Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 PM

ok i was afraid that if the table saw me bet fold the river on an innocuous looking 5 that i would get [censored] with all day long. guess not

funny thing is b/c doc and i have a history together (knows me as straightforward etc) i think the expert play here would be to 3 bet as a bluff. i doubt he calls with A5 in that spot.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the expert play here would be to 3 bet as a bluff. i doubt he calls with A5 in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, why aren't we reading a LC brag post about how sick you are right now? I want that post!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:51 PM

The "expert" play might be to 3-bet, but will he make the "expert" play of folding, or will he say "the pot is huge, I call?"

I agree, 3-betting would be sick, but you would need to be pretty sure that they respect you enough to fold to your AJ or AA (the only hands we can represent here.)
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok i was afraid that if the table saw me bet fold the river on an innocuous looking 5 that i would get [censored] with all day long. guess not

funny thing is b/c doc and i have a history together (knows me as straightforward etc) i think the expert play here would be to 3 bet as a bluff. i doubt he calls with A5 in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno.. if he never bluffs big streets he's probably not going to fold to your r/r. Plus, if he was the BB (not sure from your post) then he could conceivably hold 55 and boated up on the river. His river raise makes more sense that way, based on your description of him.

And on the meta-game issue, if you're a showdown monkey like me you actually don't mind river folding once in a blue moon when necessary. If you usually get to the river with the best hand then their impression of you as weak will be proven mistaken later.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno.. if he never bluffs big streets he's probably not going to fold to your r/r. Plus, if he was the BB (not sure from your post) then he could conceivably hold 52s and boated up on the river. His river raise makes more sense that way, based on your description of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

i usually would agree, and i would never consider this vs an unknown.

however, he has taken lines before where he has 3 bet me on the turn and folded to a 4 bet (I flopped a boat, he claimed trips). i have to believe that a river 3 bet would work enough times here considering the pot size to be profitable.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Might he also have 52s or 43s?