Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default Bellagio 10/20 Hand Against TV Dude (No, not wrong forum)

Hi Gang,

Many of my friends in the HSNL forum have heard about this hand, but I wanted to share it here because I thought it might generate some good discussion. Please feel free to give your thoughtful replies no matter what stakes or level you play at. Let's keep this thread flame-free. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was in a pretty good 10/20 game at the Bellagio when a semi-famous tournament "pro" sat down and made the game GREAT. He bought in deep and started raising to one and two hundred dollars every hand and then jamming all-in for 2-300bb on the flop. He ran pretty good, won a few hands, and slowed down into a slightly lower gear.

And then the following hand comes up:

First off, let's establish that his impression of "you" is that you are tight and aggressive. In fact, he's muttered something along the lines of "You're solid, but I'm not afraid of you."

You haven't entered many pots, but played aggressively preflop when you have. The only time you've shown a hand is when you raised on the button with a suited connector. (Therefore he does know that you are not a totally uncreative nit.)

You have $2.7k and he has you covered. Onto the hand...

PREFLOP:

You limp UTG with AA and he min-raises to $40. Everyone folds back around to you and you make it $240. He thinks for barely a few seconds, and calls.

FLOP:

TT6 (rainbow)

Now, I have three questions:

1) Will you consider folding your aces at any point in this hand?

2) If you answered "yes" to the first question, explain why, or explain what events would have to happen in order for you to fold (either give a specific line you would take, or a tell you would look for, etc).

3) If you answered "no" to the first question, explain why not, and explain a few ways you might proceed with the hand postflop.

I'm really curious to hear how you guys approach a situation like this. I will check in with some thoughts later.

Thanks a lot,

Sunny
Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Bellagio 10/20 Hand Against TV Dude (No, not wrong forum)

no. i think AA in a rr pot for less than 180bbs is the nizzles, and its just wrong to fold. bet bet shove.

bet 350,750,shove
Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 AM

Min-raise preflop seems like a medium to small pp. I doubt you can give him credit for a T here so I don't feel too worried about that.

1) Very unlikely.
2) x
3) cbet flop, CRAI turn.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:59 AM

1. No
2. n/a
3. Im bet/calling the whole way.

I play AA in a RR pot for 135BB as the nuts on this board pretty much always, barring some miraculous read that i am sure of. If i pick up some sort of read that i am very sure of, the i MIGHT consider changing my answers to #1 and #2.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:06 AM

He is a thinking Player and knows what Image he has created over the last few Hands. He knows that everyone is basically trying to get his money if he was playing so wild. He also knows that you might limp/raise UTG with some complete trash, making it look like AA/maybe KK. He is still good enough to make laydowns. Given that assumption I feel that most of the time he doesn't specifically put you on a strong hand here. So I wouldn't consider folding, even if he is showing major strength on later streets.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:18 AM

1. No
3. Bet flop, if raised call and c/r turn all-in. If called, c/r turn all-in. I'm expecting him to bet the turn almost always figuring you have AK or he's simply trying to push you off whatever you have. If he doesn't bet the turn then the river may be interesting and I may opt for a river c/c figuring he might be slowplaying and he may valuebet the river with his medium pp anyways after we check turn and river.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:21 AM

Hey Coltrane,

I would consider laying down AA at some point during this pot, but in this spot against an aggressive player your hand is faceup. You got > 10% in pre and he's the kind of player who will do his best to rep trips, here's a spot where I get all my chips in and chalk up the pot to variance if I lose.

The question here is to play your hand as AK or Aces up. I'd bet flop ~ $175 and check-raise AI on the turn, I get the feeling he's going to bet to when checked to, too much.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 AM

Lead flop and take it from there. And its not deep, pot is big and villain is bad. Also the board allow him to be stacked with alot of crap and might get him to try to move you of AK, so wtf dont fold.

And limping is just lol =)
Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 AM

given how u caracterized villain, id bet the flop and c/c turn and river to let him blow off his money if he thinks he can get me off my hand by bettin big.
i dont see how he has a hand here that cann call 3 bets and doesnt beat ours. a minraise pf is more likly to bet a small pp, or SC kinda hand than an overpair to this flop.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And limping is just lol =)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing it's 10-handed.