Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Official Dids Gym Thread

The rate will slow obv as he gets skinnier.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smiley,

Fat loss rate is fine for someone morbidly obese. 3-5lbs per week is fine and std when you're carrying that much fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

3-5 wow. Do you think that is still maintainable for Dids? I just feel like a slower and steadier approach is better because it is easier to maintain, but I'm not an expert on dieting.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as his BF% is >35% or so. I doubt he'll have trouble maintaining it. He's more fat than Dids ATM. Well he might've passed it now. Before there was almost no question.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Thremp,

What do you mean by "more fat than Dids". You're talking % bodyfat?

I haven't had that measured, I think I can do that at the gym, I should check (and then bring a stick to beat away the [censored] trainers trying to sell me [censored]).

Also Thremp, setting aside whatever beef we had in the past, Kyle's said you know a ton about this stuff, so I'd love your input.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:13 AM

Dids,

Yes, I meant BF%.

There are better resources on the interwebs, but people don't want to use them so I'm trying to do my little part.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 AM

"For your diet, have you looked into the Zone diet? It looks like you are getting too much carbs (especially for breakfast) and not enough fat."

Smiley,

This doesn't make sense to me. For a person dropping weight and looking for endurance in their workout which Dids has somewhat and will keep adding more and more to his cardio, complex carbohydrates are what he needs for glycogen storage. If Dids were non-active all these carbs would be a problem but they are stored energy and essential for his workouts and as his intensity increases he will just need more and more carbs since ATP is used quickly (has a limited ability to store carbs), this is different for fat. You can do more high intensity work (endurance) with a high carb diet. Shouldn't his diet, considering the person, be about proper diet that gives him the best workout? I mean he isn't all protein and fats to get swole like some people here, this is about increasing aerobic ability and lifting. Thoughts?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Dids I always thought the guy in your picture w/ the cockatiel was you.

Now I don't know what to believe anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

EDIT: Oh and kick ass job w/ the diet man.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

3- People are going to suggest squats, I hate squats. In high school I was doing them bad and ended up emptying both sides of the bar on the floor and it freaked me out. I’m not very comfortable doing them, so I like to avoid. Also, I strongly prefer to stick with machines over free weights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, free weights are far superior to machines, but I can understand your reluctance to do more intimidating exercises like bench press or squat where you need a spotter/there is a perceived risk of injury.

I'd suggest trying out free weights for easier exercises and see how you like it. If you try them, I think you will find that they are more enjoyable, and then you might be willing to try more intimidating free weight exercises like the squat and bench press.

One exercise that I would highly reccomend is the standing overhead press using a barbell:

This is a great shoulder exercise and also hits the triceps. But it also improves your balance and requires you to stabilize your core. Moreover, it will give you some experience pushing free weights (ie bench press) and standing with weight (ie squats). And since you will probably be using pretty light weight (just start out with the 45 lb bar and see how it feels), you shouldn't feel too intimidated.

Hell, even do bicep curls with free weights. That's pretty much the easiest free weight exercise there is. There's many other great free weight exercises that you can do that are not too challenging if you want more suggestions.

[ QUOTE ]

4- So what do we think of my plan? Is anything painfully misplaced? What should I add, what should I drop? My gym is pretty damn nice (LA Fitness) so if there's something you suggest, they've probably got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd turn your "chest and arms" day into chest and triceps day, and your back day into back biceps day, and do abs on your leg day. The philosophy behind doing triceps on your chest day is that most chest exercises also hit your triceps to some extent, so if you also do triceps that day you will hit them fully and give them a full week to recover before working them again. Same reasoning for doing back the same day as biceps.

Oh, and as far as diet goes, from glancing at your cooking threads it seems you eat a lot of fish and vegetables, which is fantastic. As far as breakfast goes, I highly recommend oatmeal. It's a much better source of fiber than wheat bread, which is probably processed and enriched with bad stuff.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:20 AM

I can't debate the actual mechanisms about how diet works as I simply don't know enough. I do know that programs like crossfit sing the praises of Zone eating (which is 40/30/30 or therabouts of protein/fat/carbs). I think AZK has done a lot of reading about this subject.

Re; fuel for high intensity activities: Dids isn't doing enough activity to really NEED much in the way of carbs - if he was an olympic swimmer, triathlete, marathon runner etc. etc. than yes a high carb diet is better. As it stands light aerobic activity followed by lifting won't deplete glycogen stores enough that aren't easily replenished with a post workout shake with some sugars.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 AM

In terms of breakfast, one of the big changes for me when I started dropping was focusing on having a big breakfast that would keep me going throughout the day (my old breakfast habits were horrible and full of all the wrong carbs).

I just started adding the toast, mostly so that I could get some protein in the morning.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:29 AM

to be honest, i would drop the toast. if you get enough energy from the other stuff, the toast isnt necessary, the protein shake is enough, along with your dinner.