Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Re: Baldness

great post, and i think you look great in the pics with really short hair.

im 30, started losing hair a few years ago, especially in that upper back of the head spot. i always vowed when i started losing it, just to start buzzing or shaving it. i cant believe how crazy chicks go for the shaved/buzzed head look. im sure plenty of women dont like it at all, but the ones that like it, LIKE it. i kinda look like a cross between that guy from prison break and bruce willis though, so i guess that doesnt hurt. the funny thing is i actually look younger with a shaved head than with hair.

one thing i think guys need to realize is that women dont look at us the way we look at them, especially in regards to aging
Old 03-06-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the guys: GQ ran an article last month about how to wear you hair based on your pattern of hair loss. For instance if your receding at the temples ala Kevin Spacey, keep you hair about 1.5 inches. Shorter for different areas and situations. Might be worth a look.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a great point. It is something I meant to get into, but I obviously had a long enough post, plus I'm horrible at fashion and stuff (should have been a guy).

When I say "shaved" head, a lot of times I mean anywhere from no guard to the guard that is about 3/4" long or maybe even 1". I know this is different for men, and I'm sure there is a different terminology for shaved, closest guard, etc. I just don't know it. I have about 10 different guards and just hook them up to the clippers and start shaving.

Thanks so much for bringing this up, because it is a very valid point (some people look better with 1" of hair left than shaved clean), and I simply didn't include it in my original post.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Felicia,
Do you think your experience with baldness would have been different if you were single? Would you have stayed as self-confident when doing things like dating?

-dirt

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I'm one of those women who fluked into getting married. I didn't think I would (too mean). I figured I'd end up single for the rest of my life like my Dad. I don't put up with a lot, and am way too dominant and masculine for most men. I definitely wasn't the type of women who "needed" a man, ever.

The diabetes probably was more of a hit to my self-esteem than anything else. I looked huge, bloated, pasty and couldn't live my life the way I'd previously done; globetrotting and rarely staying still. I had to adjust to being home a lot more, chained to the bathroom with no energy or stamina to speak of.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:30 PM

I missed this post, thanks for linking it in the other thread in OOT. Felicia, short hair, no hair, or long hair I think you're one hot mama. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I missed this post, thanks for linking it in the other thread in OOT. Felicia, short hair, no hair, or long hair I think you're one hot mama. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Felicia, I totally stumbled upon this post just now (via something in OOT) and if I had read it earlier today I probably would have asked my hair stylist to shave my head (my boyfriend would have loved this) instead of going with my trendy, shorter (for me) haircut that I got today. Very inspiring!!

I have always been extremely self conscious of my hair. I've had lions mane curls for most of my life, living with what my dad calls "mao mao" hair. I had one bad cut in my teens, and did not get a hair cut for years after that. I was attached to my hair, it being expected from a supposed 'feminine' skater and dancer, I perceived that it made me more girly, when I most certainly was not.

My family (mostly women) are extremely judgemental about hair. If you've got b00bs, you have to have long, flowing, blonde hair. I finally found a good stylist though, and experiment far more with my hair now than I used to. Hair is still serious business to my family, though! Today, I have 'boy' hair in the back and I know that later, when I see my mother, she will probably make some comment about it. She'll tell my aunts, cousins and grandmother about it, and there will be no appreciation that it looks better on me as a 5 foot tall petite girl than face covering, shapeless hair.

I've long thought about going extremely short (ie, shaving) with my hair, but have to admit I'm scared a bit. Not really about losing my hair, because I think I'm over that, but it not looking good either short or until it starts to grow out a bit. Other girlfriends I have ask if I would feel worried about being perceived as being gay or less feminine or less stylish...but those don't really figure in, to be honest. It astounds me as well to see how many people are so attached to their hair and what perception they feel it gives the world about them.

Thank you for posting this. For what it's worth, I loved the Susan Powter blonde spike look you had going for a bit there. It's beautiful and looks very empowering and therefore sexy.

And for all the men, I have to say that there is nothing sexier than a bald or shaved head, IMO. I kind of feel sad for a guy when he starts to lose his hair and isn't sure of what to do. I still admire trendy or fashion-forward cuts though.

Some good examples of dudes who have either accepted it or not:

Kelly Slater

I couldn't find any balding photos (there are a lot of hat pictures on Google) but I think he rocks the shaved bald look really well.

Scott Anderson (from a CDN band called Finger Eleven)
He was shaved for a long time, and it was fabulous. On their latest release I was disgusted to see that he grew his hair out to be some sort of weird fluffy balding hair.

(when it was shaved)

(in the middle, post-grow back)

And how could we forget...

(Just joshin)
Old 03-30-2007, 06:22 PM

i had a friend who was in the same boat Noah but was to scared freaked out about shaving it off ala Marine/boot camp style.

He always seemed insecure about it so I finally bet him $200 bucks on a football game and if I won he had to shave his head..but he could tell everyone why he had to do it.

I won...he shaved/buzzcut his head..and has never gone back since.

I'm eventually going to go this route of the Brad Pitt type buzz cut. I have a full head of hair except its thinning big time on the two sides.

Gonna do the Rippletoe workout program thru the fall then shave it before I go home for Xmas holiday.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, you guys are too funny (and nice). I was really posting it to try to help people, truly. I think I helped a few, or at least got them talking and not so self conscious.

I hope.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post. You'd think that there would be less self consciousness today what with short hair styles and shaved heads being in vogue. I'm sure this is much harder for women though.

For the guys: GQ ran an article last month about how to wear you hair based on your pattern of hair loss. For instance if your receding at the temples ala Kevin Spacey, keep you hair about 1.5 inches. Shorter for different areas and situations. Might be worth a look.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone have a link to this or know the issue? my feeble search attempts have come up short.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:03 PM