Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 AM

Default $10/20 stud/8 (HORSE)--Limping with a Nine in the Door

I aspire to be the mike l. of stud/8.

More than 95% of the time, I'll chuck a dog like this on third street. The limper is unknown, but his limping with a Ten, shall we say, inspired me. The bring-in is tilting and has bought in for $11k or so, apparently to let us know that he really knows how to play poker or something.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (1.80 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (3.80 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (5.80 BB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (5.80 BB)
Old 11-20-2006, 03:18 AM

Default Re: $10/20 stud/8 (HORSE)--Limping with a Nine in the Door

I think you need to work this backwards. If calling fourth and fifth is a good idea, I'm OK with limping third.

I'm going to need some convincing though.

Sixth and the river are fine.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 AM

This is awful. Why would you limp with 779 when there is already a limper with a T. Don't you think he probably has split tens or a better concealed pair?
Old 11-20-2006, 01:10 PM

I can understand your wanting to get involved with a marginal hand against a potential steamer, but this hand is not marginal in this spot - it's unplayable because of the ten over card: you're not in good shape against any of the hands he might have limped with, such as split tens or two suited babies in the hole, especially if he had an 8 or an ace. Split sevens with a big kicker would be much better but still quite a gamble - if the bi has any three low cards, then you put yourself in a very bad situation having a 2nd best high hand. With any pair in my hand, I look for excuses not to play. At least your cards were fully live, you closed the action and might win a big pot from the steamer if you got lucky.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to work this backwards. If calling fourth and fifth is a good idea, I'm OK with limping third.

I'm going to need some convincing though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna need a lot of it. Yeah, third is OK if calling fifth unimproved is OK...but I don't get how you get to point B from point A.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 PM

If I had 778 I would play here. If I had 779 I would have clicked my "fold" box as soon as someone else entered the pot.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had 779 I would have clicked my "fold" box as soon as someone else entered the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually would too. I had a momentary inspiration.

If I told you that the limper had (A7)T rainbow, would your responses change?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I had 779 I would have clicked my "fold" box as soon as someone else entered the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually would too. I had a momentary inspiration.

If I told you that the limper had (A7)T rainbow, would your responses change?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem is that you mentioned he was an unknown, so he could really have anything. Since he's playing $10/$20 I wouldn't think he's a complete moran. Perhaps I tend to overestimate my opponents' starting hands, so I might put him on suited babies or a T in the hole. Whatever he's got, it must either be a raise/fold situation given the remaining crappy door cards.

At any rate, I suppose there's nothing wrong with playing a hand on a whim if you having a feeling about the villain here and think you can outplay him on the later streets. It's just going to be near impossible to know where you stand and could only make uncomfortable calls til 6th where you made 2 pair against his completely uncoordinated board.

Then again if your hand gets shown down, there's the whole metagame issue which could payoff down the road.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since he's playing $10/$20 I wouldn't think he's a complete moran.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's probably not a moron. I think a true moron would have difficulty operating the software, and probably wouldn't have $500 in discretionary income. But the fact that someone is playing $10/20 doesn't in any way mean that he's a decent player. I think that most folks who post here started with some seed money and built up a bankroll which allows them to play at some higher level. Most folks who play poker don't operate like that. They have some discretionary income which they put on some site, and when that's gone, they put more money on that site. For some, that money adds up to thousands of dollars a year. I can think of a few people who I figure have career losses in six figures at Canterbury Park. I think one guy probably lost around $100k a year for a while. Can he afford it? Absolutely.

Anyway, I somehow had this revelation that the limper sucks at stud/8. I will confess that I sometimes have an inflated view of my abilities, but between this guy and the bring-in, I thought that I could maybe squeeze a profit out of this dog. Passing might have been the better option, but this isn't exactly the kind of hand that I have trouble getting away from on later streets.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Wow! Canterbury Park must be a goldmine.