Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 07-11-2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Robert Kiyosaki

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can't stand this guy. Does anyone thing he's not completely useless as a writer?

[/ QUOTE ]

RDPD is one of the most important books I have ever read.

If you already know what he's teaching, I can see how he can be annoying...but if you don't know it, it can be valuable advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

RDPD WAS the most important book I've ever read.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Robert
Old 07-12-2006, 12:06 AM

His book was the first real book I read. It real helped me get out of the mentality that I have to get a good job with health benefits it showed me that there are plenty other ways to make a living, i.e. writing books [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. At the time that I read I knew it was a bit much. Now, when I read his Yahoo articles I get upset cause it's mostly crap advice. I remember him saying that he wants to continue buying gold, when gold was around 700s, look at it now? Is he right? Maybe. Sometimes his logic is bit off. But the previous not withstanding it does help you realize that you don't need a job and that just working only gets you so far. And those who will counter me with millionaire next door keep in mind that has selection bias. I bet there are people out there who saved and acted like the people in million next doors only to find themselves poor and broke.

The true irony is that I work at a good job with great health benefits. So maybe his book was a waste.....

-Alex
Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 AM

Cliffs Notes of RDPD:

-Spend your money on assets
-Don't increase your liabilities
-Put your money to work for you

There, I saved you all a [censored] of time. Feel free to send me money if you needed this revelation.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:24 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is so much more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like:

[ QUOTE ]
I was very much raised in a poor dad, puritan work ethic, buy nice cars on credit with no assets, work hard for somebody else and someday retire mentality. This is how most of middle/upper middle class america operates. Its a damned shame. This book opened my eyes to that and made me drastically change my ways and also my outlook on money. Now my mission in life is to generate as much passive income as possible. To live far below my means and have my Passive Income exceed my Expenses and acheive Financial Freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, let's revisit:

[ QUOTE ]
-Spend your money on assets
-Don't increase your liabilities
-Put your money to work for you

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I covered everything you said with those three points.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM

Why are you capitalizing 'financial freedom', 'expenses', etc.? I really don't understand the fascination with Kiyosaki. Just not much there there, and he's an obvious huckster besides.

As far as people actually learning something from anything he's written, so what? That's not exactly a high standard. For instance I'm sure there are people who have learned something from reading Ken Warren poker books. That doesn't mean that I'd recommend any of them.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM

Old 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM

Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 PM

Are Kiyosakis books good for anything?
If they get you to start learning more about good ways to invest then I guess so. But there are a lot of better books out there. For real estate stuff John T. Reed's stuff if very good from what I have read so far. There are also some good stock market oriented reading lists on the motley fool forums.

Pancho

PS Make sure you read those above links about Kiyosaki before you actually try to apply any specific techniques of his. When I first read RDPD I thought it was decent, but the more I read the worse my opinion gets.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Have not read the book, but the vast majority of these books are garbage. As others have pointed out, minimize your expenses, invest at least 60% of your take home pay and you will be fine. I do not plan on working a day past 50 and am well on my way of getting there and have not read any of these books.

A really good forum on early retirment is at http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/index.php

They probably have the best retirment calculator on the net as well called FIRECALC (although most calculators are garbage)