Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Default i\'m very aggressive so i never bet

this is a hand from back when i played 7.50/15. i was reading the Med Stakes LC thread and a hand played by HOWMANY reminded me of it.

it's a full game. this session i've decided to play a laggish style , raising a lot of connectors and pairs preflop and following through on good/decent flops.

anyways i open 88 in LMP. it folds to a old, passive lady in the SB who cold calls. the BB folds.

The flop is AQ4 two tone. she checks I check.

Turn is a blank rag (e.g. a 6) check/check.

River another 4. check/check.

hows about it?
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: i\'m very aggressive so i never bet

bet the flop
Old 11-13-2007, 04:17 PM

there are a few 6-outers that fold the flop, and you could easily be giving up the pot if she randomly decides to fire at the turn/river with air. bet the flop and check behind the big streets.

and the river is close to a bet as played.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Why not bet the flop? You gave here a free chance to draw out on her pocket pair, Kx, Jx, Tx, 9x, gutshot, backdoor flush, everything; why not win the pot right now with a bet? Are you trying to induce a bluff on a larger street, cuz passive ladies ain't even betting a Qx with an A on board let alone a worse hand than yours.

The part I have a hard time with is the turn if she calls the flop. I usually fire again HU hoping villain is on flush draw, but mostly I seem to spend 1.5 BB to see her Q...

GcluelessnoobG
Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 PM

I bet the flop, but then check it down from there. If I check the flop, I think I'd have to bet the turn if a rag came off the deck. I see no reason to bet the river. Basically, I'm putting in one bet at some point and then checking behind.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Do we usually have to fire a second barrel on the turn here if flop villain calls flop? I usually do, figuring if ahead I have to charge villain to draw; if I check turn, a lot of villains will bet any river, thus forcing me to pay 1 bet anyways.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:52 PM

If you don't bet 88 on the flop here then your flop betting range becomes highly skewed toward bluffs / big made hands. If you additionally are raising a really wide range, then your flop betting range contains way too many bluffs.

88 is definitely an above-average hand in your range. Given that you are trying to run over your opponents, you want to show them that you are willing to bet weak made hands. make it hard for them to call you down with king-high the way they need to on this board. Bet bet bet.

good luck.
Eric
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 PM

river is fine. Flop check is bad. Your plan should be to bet the flop and have that be the last bet that you put in.
Given that you checked the flop, there is no reason not to bet the turn. You should bet to protect your hand, and because you are probably ahead at this point.
River is fine depending on exactly how passive she is. Against some people the river is a bet, because they will 3 bet you PF with pocket pairs that are bigger than yours, and they will bet either 4th or 5th rly frequently with either a Q or an A.
Betting thr river against a lot of people (semi passives even) would be right just for the pure value of pwning their lower pocket pairs.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
river is fine. Flop check is bad. Your plan should be to bet the flop and have that be the last bet that you put in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do we usually have to fire a second barrel on the turn here if flop villain calls flop? I usually do, figuring if ahead I have to charge villain to draw; if I check turn, a lot of villains will bet any river, thus forcing me to pay 1 bet anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

against loose passives, they will usually have you beat when they call the flop, and then they won't try to bluff you on the river with their missed gutshots. If they are super super super loose in the blinds then betting the turn is basically for value, because they would have a bunch of hands with a 4 in it in addition to their gutshots and weird backdoor flushdraws and backdoor 2 pair draws.
Some people literally always always always call in the blinds.