Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 11-09-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Improvisation

Villain is this hand is SS who I guess just posted the hand from his point of view. here it is from mine. The title of this thread is "improvisation." This is why - I have QQ and raise UTG. SS 3 bets from button. I mean to slide out 4 chips to cap but my finger jams on a chip, 2 come out, and it'll be a string bet. Thus I can put in the one bet. I keep my mouth shut about it.

Now, since I've underepped my hand, i had to "make up a line on the fly". I decide to CR a lot of flops, but flop is

KTx two tone which now makes it complicated. i opt to take a WA/WB line.

I check, SS bets, I call. I assume SS is putting me on AJ/AQ.

Turn is a blank, putting up a 2nd FD. i c/c. i have no idea what he could put me on.

River blank. I fire. I honestly thought this was a fold to a raise but since the c/c c/c b/f line is so widespread here, it might have been a bad one. I also thought i would get called easily by JJ/AQ/AT b/c my line looks like bs.

(ps no i wasnt steaming LOLZ)
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Improvisation

He probably only has 3 outs to beat you and will keep firing with some sort of suited broadway, and if he has JJ or 99, he'll probably give up on the river, but could possibly call when you bet. I doubt he'd raise something like AK for fear he'd be three-bet.

I like it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt he'd raise something like AK for fear he'd be three-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

this the part i question.

i've played with more than a few 2+2ers, and usually I expect that they'll play techinically well, do things that make sense, etc. for the most part they do, EXCEPT when im in a hand with them. im now noticing that for whatever reason, its becomes a leveling contest where im thrown into another dimension where starting hand ranges and flop/turn/river lines make no sense, and i might just have to become calling station-ish.

anyone else notice this?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM

I'd put him on QJs.Call and make him show down his worthless bluff.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol play wa/wb to induce river bluff raise?

i cant take it anymore
Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 PM

i found a long time ago that one of the best ways to pwn 2p2ers(or even other good players trying to get into a pissing contest) at the table is calling down with position and donk betting when OOP.

calling down takes the ego-feeding, dick-swinging bluff and semibluff checkraises out of thier postflop arsenal which frustrates them.

donk betting is a powerful weapon against good players OOP in HU/shorthanded pots. particularly in steal scenarios. it's powerful because well-executed donks can frustrate the crap out of good players trying to maximize their positional advantage. it steals the initiative and puts pressure on them the 2/3 of the time they don't hit the flop.

these plays aren't super fancy or designed to make you feel cool, but in the end you'll usually have more chips in your stack than they do as a result of adjusting in this manner.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM

James,

This is a really good point that I've been noticing online. Against super aggro players and good 2p2ers, I become a calling station in position and frustrate the hell out of them OOP. I was told that WA/WB was "so 2004" by another 2p2er live, but after playing online again, I see that these standard lines still have a lot of validity.

Also, I agree with Kit that when we play other 2p2ers, we try to outlevel each other. We specifically discussed using a WA/WB line when on a FD since you could donk the river representing top pair since the other player "knows" you have top pair.

But at the end of the day, you inevitably say "WTF? The pot is big, he may be trying to outlevel me, but whatever, I call."

At least at the levels we're playing at at the moment, anyways.