Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Ask me about being a professional psychic

Ever tried to use this as a PUA routine to pick up chicks? I bet a lot of girls would eat it up.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 AM

can you do this from anywhere in the US/world? if so, this sounds quite fascinating and I may want to look into it.
do you decide your own hours? is it 24/7?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stop being so general! We're trying to paint a picture of a psychic conversation here :P. I think you're just vague because that's the way you are, but I think this is an interesting topic and you need to just let the details fly.

From your answer to my first question, it sounds like this really isn't what I deem "psychic". It almost is more akin to therapy...just sending positive vibes to people under the guise of psychic readings. Ask me threads are awesome when the OP really gets into personal experiences and stories.

I want examples of screw ups, get specific. Like, were you all "you're chinese aren't you" and she's all "que?". Ever been so lost where they just end up hanging up without you gaining their trust back? Or you just end up sitting quietly on the line because you have no idea what to say?

And lastly, do you have any online links to articles or anything? I'm interested at this very moment, and I"m not about to run to the book store ;o

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha you changed your post, so anyway ,I'll try to be more specific. And yes, in the beginning there were a few instances where I just kind of sat there lost, and there was one where I even hung up. A woman was asking me about a guy in her life, but she was being really vague. I didn't really know everything I needed to pull the details out of her. I would sort of half ask questions, like "So you're in close quarters with this man a lot?" "You don't see him as much as you'd like to?" "Sometimes it's hard to know his feelings towards you?". Well finally I made a wild stab and told her that although this guy is quiet and reserved, he's been thinking about her in a more romantic way then their past relationship would suggest. But she'll have to be the one to make the first move. Her response was an icy "So you're telling me to make a move on my dad?". I was so shocked I slammed the phone down [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHHHH GOTTA GO!

LOLLLL
Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 AM

sweet thread

Do you tell people you meet in real life what you do? And if you do, does hearing the same obvious stupid jokes over and over make you want to kill them?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 AM

You must get a lot of people who want a very specific answer to an important question like "should I start this business" or "is my spouse cheating on me?" How do you handle this?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever tried to use this as a PUA routine to pick up chicks? I bet a lot of girls would eat it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhh
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Poker isn't very analogous since there is a difference between paying for a service and competing against other people for money. To prevent hijacking this thread I will ask a question.
If I were to start studying up on this stuff today approximately how long would it take
To turn it into a cool party trick?
To become a pro?
Also Do you think John Edwards is the Biggest Douche in the Universe?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know any other people who do this? Are there any who actually believe they are psychic. What would you guys about guys like John Edwards? Does he believe any of his own BS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know anyone else that does this, although a friend of mine in college wants to learn so he can do it as a side job. I couldn't really estimate how many people that do this actually believe they are psychic, but I think it's reasonably significant. I think these are people that use cold reading techniques without realizing it and are as gullible as the people who are calling.

Here's my thing about John Edwards, Sylvia Brown, et al. There are things I think are basically ok about doing this and things that aren't. Talking to a psychic shouldn't have a major impact on your life, and people like John Edwards and Sylvia Brown way cross that line, so I think they're douches.

[ QUOTE ]
an you do this from anywhere in the US/world? if so, this sounds quite fascinating and I may want to look into it.
do you decide your own hours? is it 24/7?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just set my own hours. I use a desktop program to mark myself as available and click it off when I'm done. One pain in the ass though is that if I walk away for a few minutes and forget to mark myself as unavailable, and someone tries to call I'm kicked out the rest of the day. I haven't done it in a while, but usually that's just luck.

[ QUOTE ]
sweet thread

Do you tell people you meet in real life what you do? And if you do, does hearing the same obvious stupid jokes over and over make you want to kill them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I originally intended to keep it kind of quiet to avoid stupid questions, etc., but I told a few friends and the rumor mill gets around so of course everyone knew in about 2 hours of me telling a couple people. I actually don't get too many stupid jokes (most of them have been in this thread), my friends and family are pretty smart and were mainly curious about how it works.

[ QUOTE ]
You must get a lot of people who want a very specific answer to an important question like "should I start this business" or "is my spouse cheating on me?" How do you handle this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have this problem in the beginning, and basically had to be very vague and I'm sure it wasn't what the client wanted to hear. Now I make sure that they know they're not going to get those kind of answers in the beginning.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker isn't very analogous since there is a difference between paying for a service and competing against other people for money. To prevent hijacking this thread I will ask a question.
If I were to start studying up on this stuff today approximately how long would it take
To turn it into a cool party trick?
To become a pro?
Also Do you think John Edwards is the Biggest Douche in the Universe?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just woke up and I'm too sleepy to debate that point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] For the other stuff, if you started studying today, you could probably be good enough to start doing it pro after a few days. You probably wouldn't actually be good at it until you do it for a few hours a day for a couple days - that's about the time it'll take you to see like 99% of the questions and situations and figure out how to respond. After that, you could probably use it as a cool trick without much danger of making an ass of yourself. I would say if you're smart you could be up and running pretty quickly with it. I should say, though, that you'll make crap money for a while because you need to build up your rank before you can really take a lot of calls.

I covered John Edwards earlier in this response, but basically yeah.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM

how does the company you work for address your "psychic" abilities? do they overtly admit theyre fake by suggesting training to fake people or do they put up the pretense that you guys are psychic - maybe their ads for hires ask specifically for people w/ psychic power?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does the company you work for address your "psychic" abilities? do they overtly admit they fake by suggesting training to fake people or do put up the pretense that you guys are psychic - maybe their ads for hires ask specifically for people w/ psychic power?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting question. They pretty much completely keep up the pretense that we're all psychic. Any job listings state that they're only willing to hire people with extraordinary psychic powers, all that BS. If I had talked to them in the beginning and said "I'm a good cold reader, I think psychics are complete scams" I really don't know if I would have gotten the job.