Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 02-15-2007, 07:04 PM

Default Re: johnny hughes answer this

[ QUOTE ]
If I can find a few who knew him from the old poker days I think I could hear a few more interesting road warrior things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played almost daily at Hawaiian Gardens for the last two years. Few, very few know my name.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played almost daily at Hawaiian Gardens for the last two years. Few, very few know my name.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're the one putting my kids through college? What limit do you play?
Old 02-16-2007, 02:25 AM

Hi Ray:

In the late 1980s and early 1990s I played limit a few times with Bill Smith. The last time I saw him he needed a walker to get around so we knew he wasn't going to last much longer.

For those who are wondering, he wasn't a top limit player but he also wasn't a live one. My guess is that in the $20-$40 games he was probably a little better than break even.

But one very positive aspect was that he was always polite and professional in his behavior. And yes, he did always drink.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 AM

Hi Don:

There was an older man in town named Teddy Price who was very close to Stu Unger who I knew fairly well. Teddy died a few years ago but I remember him telling me that if the manager of the Freemont Street hotel would have reacted better, Unger might have been saved. And he then went on to describe the type of convulsions that Unger would suffer from.

I've never repeated this story to anyone until now, mainly becuase it never came up in any of my conversations, but I am positive Teddy told me "A flop house on Freemont Street." Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps Teddy had it wrong, but I do believe he knew Stu Unger better than anyone in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, since Teddy's no longer here this can't be confirmed. I also remember him saying Stu did have some money on him when he died, but I don't remember the amount.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-16-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're the one putting my kids through college? What limit do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played them all from $1000 NLHE down to the $20NLE (with my girlfrined). Most of the Donkaments too. Lately it's been the $300 and $500 table. If you're playing the $100 yeah I've probly donated. Guess I play too loose there. But the 300 and 500 I do pretty well.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:55 AM

This is a great thread thus far, thanks everyone very interesting to read
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks to those who didn't call me a liar or an imposter. I would like to apologize to Don Olney if I got the location of Stuey's death wrong or the amount of money he had. It was not important to the point of my message. I sure doubt your wife's uncles in San Franciso will know me. I shot dice there once but never played poker there.

I am new here. Can any of you suggest a friendly Web site where an older guy will be welcome?

I met Bill Smith and Longgoodie in 1959. Both were top no limit players and played in the largest games. They couldn't beat the big game in Odessa with Johnny Moss, Paul Harvey, Sailor Roberts, Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim, and Treetop Straus. I couldn't beat it either. Most of the early winners of the World Series played in this game which lasted a long time.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a great thread thus far, thanks everyone very interesting to read

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-16-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks to those who didn't call me a liar or an imposter. I would like to apologize to Don Olney if I got the location of Stuey's death wrong or the amount of money he had. It was not important to the point of my message. I sure doubt your wife's uncles in San Franciso will know me. I shot dice there once but never played poker there.

I am new here. Can any of you suggest a friendly Web site where an older guy will be welcome?

I met Bill Smith and Longgoodie in 1959. Both were top no limit players and played in the largest games. They couldn't beat the big game in Odessa with Johnny Moss, Paul Harvey, Sailor Roberts, Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim, and Treetop Straus. I couldn't beat it either. Most of the early winners of the World Series played in this game which lasted a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't post much, but just thought i'd let you know i've really enjoyed reading your stories so far. Hopefully, you'll like it here and won't be pushed away by a small minority of haters. It's always a pleasure reading and hearing stories from people who've actually lived poker and who've seen it change over the years.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! But, don't you already know about it?

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CJ