Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2007, 10:55 AM

Default Crazy River Jam has me fouled up.

Home game SNG, 7 runners, paying two. 4000 starting chips, 20 minute levels, normal blinds. We're at 50/100 right now, early on.

Folds to the button. He's a reasonable player in every sense. Reasonably tight, reasonably loose at times. Plays for fun, but reads books like Harrington. If I've got to peg him to a "mold," it's a little weak-tight. He hates gambling on races, etc.

He's got me covered and I have around 2700 chips.

He makes it 250 to go. I defend in the small blind with Qs6s, and we take a flop.

Flop is 9-6-6 rainbow. I check, he checks.

Turn is an offsuit 4. I lead out for 400 with around 550 in the pot, and he calls.

the river is a 7. This coordinates the board but I still feel like I need to bet for value. I fire out 400 into the pot which has around 1400 in it.

He Jams! WTF?

Board is 9-6-6-4-7

I have to call around 1600 more with around 3600 in the pot. My call is getting 2.25:1 and I need to be around 30% to break even, and I'd prefer to be slightly better considering my distaste for calling off my chips at neutral equity.

Usually I work backwards in hands, and start with that 30% and see if I can find it somewhere. Usually I'll just call (or fold) because it becomes very obvious to me what to do.

This was not like that. I took a long time deciding what he could have, specifically, out of character for me. I believe he'd play 99, 44, and 77 that way. Possibly A6 and K6. I thought there was very little chance he was bluffing. Not close to the harrington 10% or whatever.

Considering his weak-tightness, I didn't there there's any other hand he could open up the betting with on the river that he wouldn't have bet on an earlier street. Also, he raised preflop.

I folded. What does everyone think?