Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Blind Play Discussion.

Ok guys..

So I have played 200NL this month and have simply been murdered. I can only assume this is because of blind play as I am up in all other positions.

So can anyone load a bunch of hands of theirs and analyze stats with blind play?

Also, Does anyone have any general rules for blind play? I feel like my biggest leak is not three-betting loose player preflop enough with marginal hands. Instead, I just call and give up to big c-bets on the flop. I think in these situations(esp with low pairs) I should be picking off more bets preflop and on the flop both with more raising, but I haven't been doing so.

So how do you guys play the blinds?
Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Blind Play Discussion.

Fold the small blind most of the time.

Don't defend your BB with marginal hands as a default play. In FR the blinds don't come around as often as 6-max and protecting your blinds is generally less important.

In raised pots, don't cold call a raise preflop under most conditions unless you have a small to mid pair and suspect that if you flop a set that you can extract about 10x your preflop call from the raiser. Another exception might be if you are last to act and it is a big multi-way pot and you have a speculative hand (i.e. you have 76s in BB, then UTG raised, 4 callers to you in the BB, you want to call and see flop). As a general rule, reraise or fold, but fold most of the time.

Make a big raise with marginal hands occasionally when there are multiple limpers to you in the SB or especially in the BB. Like Q7s, for example. It's trash, but you're really just trying to steal the limper's money.

If you have marginal aces (AQ/AJ/AT) and a preflop raiser is tight (<5% PFR), then just fold. If you have marginal aces AQ/AJ/AT) and a preflop raiser is raising with all kinds of junk, then reraise enough to make him fold just about all the junk he usually raises with. If he re-reraises, then fold. If he calls, then proceed with caution after that based on the texture of the flop, stack sizes and your reads on what he's probably got and how he's likely to play it. You're really hoping he folds preflop when you do this.

Don't fight very hard for TPWK from the blinds in a limped pot. Having J3o in the BB only to flop J98 isn't worth any additional investment in a multi-way limped pot.

Please let me know where my thinking is off. I've been using this in my play, but I'm always looking to improve.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:10 PM

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this in NL. If you're losing (0.26) in the BB and half of that in the SB, isn't that just the price of the blinds themselves?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:04 PM

These stats don't look bad to me . . .
Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM

that's what I'm saying too. I mean, if he's up in all other positions, it must be like 0.01bb/100.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM

Can anyone else post their blind stats for a good sample?

Someone losing less per hand than me preferably [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Your vpip and bb lost/hand are very similar to mine.

I never considered it a problem though, just part of playing the game.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:40 PM

Well I just assumed it was because I am on a $3,100 downswing and I was thinking I would be down some in other spots, but I am positive in all other spots except the blinds so I assumed it had to be a leak
Old 06-22-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I just assumed it was because I am on a $3,100 downswing and I was thinking I would be down some in other spots, but I am positive in all other spots except the blinds so I assumed it had to be a leak

[/ QUOTE ]

Win more in other positions????

It might help to post you full postition stats...