Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Default try suitcase deadlifts

Try suitcase deadlifts if you want a switch from regular or Romanian DLs. I've been doing DLs forever and am comfortable in the 250-300 range, but 3 x 8 x 95lbs of suitcase DLs kicked my ass the first time I tried them. Here's a description & video
Old 09-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: try suitcase deadlifts

new one for me.
will try today.
report back.
thanks for a new idea.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new one for me.
will try today.
report back.
thanks for a new idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll rape your obliques.

Also gives the greek statue physique, which may or may not be what you want :x
Old 09-05-2007, 01:09 AM

ok so i did "Nancy" today, 5 rounds of running 400m followed by 95 lb overhead squats, and it killed me so no trying anything today except hauling my sweaty tired ass to the car and trying not to puke.

thrempster. greek statue=very nice. does anyone really want huge pecs these day? aren't they so lee haney?

any keys to snatch grip deads? tried these, but i sucked it up. (see you influence me more than you think)[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] J.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:18 AM

Brown,

I meant it like really really really wide waist. Which is great for performance, terrible for looks. Your call.

Umm... I do a little bit of deads on a box which these are similar to. I also ended up switching to a O/U grip instead of using straps which was somewhat awkward. Not sure on any keys. Max on regular snatch grip is like 75% of my dead. YMMV
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Thremp, a few months with Captains of Crush grippers and you'll never think of using straps again.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp, a few months with Captains of Crush grippers and you'll never think of using straps again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really need to get on this.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really need to get on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Just looked at this page. How do you determine which pound-level to get?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM

If you're only getting one, and you don't have a freakishly strong grip already for some reason, the #1 is a pretty good bet. Most reasonably strong people without previous grip training can almost or just barely close it. Do hard negatives (using the other hand to help close it) for a while to get started. I recommend digging up blarg's old posts actually, I think there was an entire thread dedicated to CoC.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM

Yes, I started a long thread on it, with Captains of Crush in the title, in OOT. That would be good to look up, and also search here and on the dragondoor.com forums for "contrast baths," both with my name.

Most people cannot close the #1. But you can still train on it. Doing heavy negatives is by far the quickest way to build up strength on grippers. Use both hands to close the gripper, or push it in against your leg or hip.

BE CAREFUL. Especially as you progress up and use heavier grippers, you can put a lot of pressure on small joints closing a gripper against your hip or leg. More importantly, if you slip and are then left with just one hand gripping a gripper much too strong for you to hold closed, it's like holding a grenade and you can rip your connective tissue and muscles.

When you do heavy negatives, you can either do slow controlled releases, called "smooth outs," or you can try gripping as hard as you can, really fighting the whole way, and then let go in time to help, maybe with a second hand, release the pressure more quickly. You can do heavy negatives with grippers far too tough for one hand

You can expect to see truly astonishing results in as little as a couple of weeks. Your hand can take really brutal work-outs and recover very quickly. You can speed this up even more dramatically by using contrast baths, which are a hand rehabilitation therapy using alternating dips in hot and cold water to force circulation. That helps clear out metabolic wastes from exercising and provide the material to rebuild tissue, especially important for an area of the body that has so many ligaments and tendons, which heal and rebuild much slower than muscle does. You can go from painfully sore and borderline injury in your hands from fanatical gripper work-outs to feeling fine and ready to go again the next day. Doing this, you can have many gripper work-outs per week, dramatically decreasing the time it takes to increase your grip strength.

I'd recommend one gripper below what you can do, one at right about your level, and one above, to start. Warm up with the light one and use it as a variation from strength work every once in a while, to give the tendons and ligaments some time to catch up from your intensive strength training. It also forces micro-vascularity, which helps a lot with endurance(helps on deadlifts) and healing. Sooner or later you should schedule in lighter use periods out of respect for the fact that that your muscle strength will quickly outstrip the ability of your ligaments and tendons to keep up with it, making eventual injury become a real possibility. We can surge ahead, but we need to cycle back down for balance once in a while.

Use the heavy one for negatives. Note that you can use VERY heavy ones for negatives, even so heavy that you can't close them all the way with two hands. But anyone who is not already a grip freak or doesn't have a demanding job using their grip will probably be fine with a #2 for their heavy negative gripper. Get the Trainer and the #1 and the #2 for a good starter set. The lighter grippers will still be very useful for warming up after you outgrow them, and ones that are still way way beyond you are still fine for partial close negatives, so you won't be wasting money. Especially if you do negatives and regular contrast baths, expect to see amazing results.

Note: If I had to get only one gripper for strength training for the average guy, it would be a #2, which will be sufficient for heavy negatives, your most useful strength training in gripping.