Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Default $460+40 live MTT at APPT Macau, 3 hands I\'m not sure about

Hi guys,

I played in the 50-person $460+40 MTT at APPT Macau. There were a few hands I'm not sure about.

Everyone starts with 3000 chips, so total chips in the tourney is 150K. Payout is 10 places, with 10th place getting $500, and 1st place getting $12,000. The rise from 10th to 1st was gradual.

All the hands I'm not sure about occur near the bubble. They are all at the same table. Everyone at my table is a good player who adjusts effectively to different Ms, except for the person two spots on my left who is a donk (e.g. limps in with an M of 2 and then folds to a re-raise, call an all-in with an M of 4 with A2o)

Hand 1:
8-handed, 15 players left.
Blinds are 300/600 with an ante of 100.
I'm on the cutoff with 14K in chips. On the button is a guy with 5.5K. Small blind has 4K in chips after posting. Big blind has around 7.5K after posting

It's folded to me. I have T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot is 1700. What should I do here?

Hand 2:
7-handed, 14 players left.
Blinds are 300/600 with an ante of 100.
I have 15K in chips.
I'm in the big blind with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Two folds, two limps, rest of the table folds to me. Pot is now 2800. The respective stacks of the limpers are 4K and 11K (after the limps) Should I re-raise or check?

I actually checked. Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Should I bet or check?

I checked here which I am not so sure about... first limper bets 1K, and the second limper raises to 2.5K. What should I do here?

Hand 3
7-handed, 14 players left.
Blinds are 400/800 with an ante of 100.
I have 11K in chips.
I'm on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG (22K) raises to 2200. It's folded to me. SB has 6K after posting, BB has 4K after posting. What should I do here?

Thanks guys, I haven't played that many MTTs before.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: $460+40 live MTT at APPT Macau, 3 hands I\'m not sure about

1) Raise to like 1500. Fold to a re-raise. If someone calls ,raise on good flop if villain bets(lol, i think you can shove like flush+gutshot draw flop), bet every good textured flop if villain checks .
2) Check pre-flop. Fold at this point. I may try betting first though. It depends on my opponents and my image.
3) I fold this. The most important thing is to be the first one shoving pre-flop.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Hand 1: fold

You have about 13tBB so are a bit too deep to push and your hand is too weak to bet out, where you have to fold to a 3-bet.

Hand 2:

If you haven't seen them limping monsters I think I would push preflop. As played I bet on the flop. You're hand is nice, but too weak for a c/r. After the bet and the raise you are in a difficult position. I would be worried most about 44, AT and T9, which all fit for the preflop play. But there is a lot more hands you beat here so I think I'd push.

Hand 3:

This is an easy fold. I don't believe there are many good players who raise A8 or worse hands UTG.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:48 AM

I shove hand 1, everyone behind you has m<5 and T9s in the CO is a decent shoving hand. You can probably assess their calling ranges better than we can but I'd be surprised if it wasn't +EV.
Hand 2, preflop is dependant on the way the table has been playing & how much limping is going on. I bet the flop, not sure what to do as played.
Hand 3 is fairly close, you have some FE & some overlay & it's at a 7-handed table so you can't be absolutely miles behind his range, but I think it's still a fold.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:37 AM

1. I would probably push. You could also raise to 1500 and generally call a reraise from everyone but the BB. This isn't a bad hand to see a flop with.

2. I would usually push preflop. I would fold the flop getting this action.

3. Very easy fold.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:45 PM

betgo, I agree w/you on the fold in the hand 3 but am curious to hear what you´re doing here w/ AT, AJ? I believe there is no doubt AQ is a push?

This situation is very read/flow dependant imo but how much the (semi)bubble situation affects your decision?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
betgo, I agree w/you on the fold in the hand 3 but am curious to hear what you´re doing here w/ AT, AJ? I believe there is no doubt AQ is a push?

This situation is very read/flow dependant imo but how much the (semi)bubble situation affects your decision?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, ATs or AJo might be pushes due to FE.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:09 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I pushed T9s and A9s, and folded KTs. My biggest mistake was probably to push the A9s to an UTG raise. I think that I underestimated his range, although I estimated correctly my folding equity.

My T9s push was called by button with ATo.
In the KTs hand, player 1 had 88, player 2 had ATo.
My A9s push was called by the raiser with JJ.

I definitely need more practice!
Old 11-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Hey guys I have one more question.

For the KTs hand, how strong would you your hand have to be to go for a check-raise? I thought it was good enough to c/r if the betting went bet-fold or check-bet, but not good enough if it was bet-call.