Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Robert Jordan died.

[ QUOTE ]
Only just found the thread, sick beat. I am so down since I heard the news. The series got me into reading, it was a constant thru my life ever since I started reading and rereading it at age 15-16.

Its very wierd to explain but his death somehow changes my views/feelings on WOT, no longer are the books a parallel world I love to dive into and experience, imagining it would never end, it is now a story with a beginning and an end, the last word will soon be written and no longer will it be an endless fantasy world/story it will have an end. An end seems so hard for me to imagine how can the story of so many characters just end ...its was a living breathing imaginary and endless world for me...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it's because I read the series when I was much older, I do, however, love your line of thinking, and appreciate your thought process, I imagine this is the exact same way I would feel if George R.R. Martin passed away suddenly.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:03 PM

I just picked up 'A Game of Thrones' based on what I've been reading in these Jordan threads. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:26 AM

I was out of town all week and a lot of replies to my comments piled up. I'll just try to cover everything at once:

Although the Wheel of Time books have a certain underlying fantasy formula structure, I really don't see how anyone who has actually read them can think they are a boring rehash of old ideas. The characters, the setting, and the execution transcend the supposedly formulaic nature of the genre.

I am one of the people who tend to believe the story simply got out of control, rather than believe that Robert Jordan was shamelessly milking a cash cow. I think Robert Jordan simply loved his characters overmuch and tried too hard to give every single one of them an epic story of his or her own.

I also recommend the George R.R. Martin series, but that has nothing to do with whether or not you like the Wheel of Time.

I don't ever remember a time when the Wheel of Time was slated to be a trilogy, but I also didn't get around to reading book #2 until many years after its release. Whatever the original intent, I think it's pretty clear midway into book two that the story is nowhere near wrapping up. I don't care if a series stretches out to one hundred books, as long as those books are enjoyable to read and advance the story. Sadly, the Wheel of Time lost all focus by book nine, as far as I can tell.

Based on what some people have said here, I may reread the whole thing one last time just to get to book eleven and see if the story really got back on track.

SpaceAce
Old 09-23-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on what some people have said here, I may reread the whole thing one last time just to get to book eleven and see if the story really got back on track.

[/ QUOTE ]

SpaceAce,

I love a good discussion, but please don't put yourself through this on our account.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SpaceAce,

I love a good discussion, but please don't put yourself through this on our account.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, thanks for the intervention. Maybe I'll just pick it up at #8.

SpaceAce
Old 10-16-2007, 11:52 PM

I just found this out today. Some sci-fi/fantasy buff I am. In my defense I havent been home long from deployment. Anyhow, I really like his books. Yeah they got pretty out of control near the end but I'm still fan. Really sucks that he is gone but my understanding is that they are still trying to complete his last book.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Per his semi-official blog at dragonmount , he passed today.

For fantasy readers, a lot of us read Jordan, then moved on during the interminable waits between books, but he was a good writer. Can't believe that, unless it is ghostwritten from his notes (probably a given), that I won't get to read 'Memory of Light' as the author originally intended it.

Obviously my sympathies lie with his family and friends. I was thinking about it, and I realized I've been reading his books since I was in the 7th grade, for over a decade. I guess I'm lucky that I decided to goto a book reading of his for his last book, and to get it signed by him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That [censored] sucks, i started reading the wheel of time about that same age. The long waits between books kind of killed me, but he was a great writer.

R.I.P.