Mondo is turning into the Midge of Sporting Events

Edit for pertinent image:
Old 10-19-2007, 05:51 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: Torre is back

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exhbit A:

"If Kobe Bryant can be paid $25 million a year to whine about getting to play pro basketball, then Torre can easily be paid $7.5m a year to actually run a professional baseball team. "

You think one of the best players ever in the NBA is only about 3x as valuable as an MLB manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, considering how many championships Kobe has led his team to since Shaq departed, you might want to choose a better example. That said, your statement is irrelevant, as the market economics between basketball and baseball are far different. Nevertheless, by your logic, Kobe and Torre should be worth about the same, since neither's won a championship anytime recently.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's it. Mondo's cover is blown. Mondo = Joe Morgan

it adds up. he was playing HS baseball before i was born.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, who wins championships?

[/ QUOTE ]

normally the team!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott Brosius.

[/ QUOTE ]

i vote Bucky Dent.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And I've already admitted my lack of in depth knowledge of the Yankees farm system. That said, you may with to check BA's ranking of the Rockies' overall organizational system, as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, let's.

how about minor league all-stars? http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/264994.html
rockies have one player on the second team. i'll let you look up how many the yankees have.

or classification all-stars (which does it by lA,hA,AA,AAA classes) http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/264995.html
rockies 4, yankees 6.

how about best farms ranking? http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...res/26854.html
notice that the rockies are 11th, and yankees are 17th with a note ("Premium talent on hand, but Yankees’ top prospects have yet to venture beyond A-ball."). In March 2006!!! since then the top pitching talent has stormed through the minors and entered the majors.

now, if you didn't say BaseballAmerica, but BaseballProspectus (*gasp* SABR-vangelists), you'd have a hell of argument. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=5870
rockies are 2nd, and yankees are 4th. but the yankees farm is ranked 1st in pitching, and it's unlikely that the yankees need very many position rookies. well, at least until arod, posada, and abreu walk (which they won't).

i could delve deeper, but why? i think we've shown that the yankees farm system is not really second to that of the rockies. i guess, it could mean the rockies farm is pretty barren.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:26 PM

replace kobe with an average player how many rings would the lakers have won (that would be 0 or 1)
replace torre with an average manager how many to they win
? (an avg manager would be an upgrade)

Torre had no problem getting big contracts based on the fact he won the WS. But when he doesnt its not fair to pay him based on the same standard? Wow a contract that makes you the highest paid manager in baseball and gives u another 3 mil if you win the world series is such an insult.

As for Rivera-
Im amazed at how underpaid hes been. He was the most important member of the yankees when they were going to world series. Even now hes still one of the few closers i would trust in a meaningful spot (Im not talking joe borowski saves here- i mean playoff game up by 1 in the 8th inning with 2 on and 2 out) Personally I wouldnt pay torre half of what they offered him.Rivera is so much more valueable than torre and is the reason some people still think torre is a good manager.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
replace kobe with an average player how many rings would the lakers have won (that would be 0 or 1)

Torre had no problem getting big contracts based on the fact he won the WS. But when he doesnt its not fair to pay him based on the same standard? Wow a contract that makes you the highest paid manager in baseball and gives u another 3 mil if you win the world series is such an insult.

As for Rivera-
Im amazed at how underpaid hes been. He was the most important member of the yankees when they were going to world series. Even now hes still one of the few closers i would trust in a meaningful spot (Im not talking joe borowski saves here- i mean playoff game up by 1 in the 8th inning with 2 on and 2 out) Personally I wouldnt pay torre half of what they offered him.Rivera is so much more valueable than torre and is the reason some people still think torre is a good manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

rivera will get paid this offseason. o/u ~14M, which is probably what the yankees will give him for 1-2 years
Old 10-19-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

As for Rivera-

[/ QUOTE ]

rivera will get paid this offseason. o/u ~14M, which is probably what the yankees will give him for 1-2 years

[/ QUOTE ]

rivera will get a 3 year deal
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

Yo Sylar, you should have checked the 2007 organizational rankings. The Yankees are 5th, but the Rox are 2nd. Just thought you should know
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM

I dunno if this has been mentioned already, but the Yankees offer appears to be a very clever proxy for whether Torre still belongs in NY.

If he has not accumulated any arrogance over the 12 years, he gladly accepts any decent sized paycut offer, realizing that his crazy 7.5mil/year payouts were based solely on his variance-induced late '90s accomplishments and that he does not deserve to keep receiving them.

If on the other hand he walks from the offer and then bitches about being disrespected, he confirms the hypothesis that he cares more about personal respect than team success. That is the exact apex you want to look for when making a decision on a "top exec", and the Yankees uncovered it beautifully.

Given his actions the past 2 days, Torre has proven unequivocally that he is NOT the same guy he was in the '90s. In that case, its very very good that he's gone, b.c. that proves he's worth far less than even what was offered. In fact, he may actually be worth negative money at this point, as ludicrous as it sounds / seems.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:46 PM

FYI for yankee fans, ESPN classic is doing a "Torre tribute," playing old playoff games from the glory days