Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best 2/4 games
Stars 5 31.25%
Party 3 18.75%
Full Tilt 5 31.25%
UB 0 0%
Other 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: I DESERVE RESPECT

Sho,

Why are you so concerned with publicity for results? You don't realize that at this point its all about the decision-making process? i.e. I'm sure you'd agree that you are at 1/169th of development compared to Barron, and yet I don't recall ever reading about any sort of results in his posts.

If you think you are at the level where your results are significant AND want publicity, just make a blog which you update every single day with P&L for the day, transactions, and ideas for the future. If the results are good, you may even get some real money thrown at you, but at the very least tons of attention from 2+2.

And finally, how old are you?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sho,

Why are you so concerned with publicity for results? You don't realize that at this point its all about the decision-making process? i.e. I'm sure you'd agree that you are at 1/169th of development compared to Barron, and yet I don't recall ever reading about any sort of results in his posts.

If you think you are at the level where your results are significant AND want publicity, just make a blog which you update every single day with P&L for the day, transactions, and ideas for the future. If the results are good, you may even get some real money thrown at you, but at the very least tons of attention from 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair i gave a general update awhile ago w/ a list of the losers and their relative size and a list of the winners and their relative size.

briefly, the US interest rate moves lost me a ton directionally but made me a lot (less than a ton though ) in the steepener (long 2yr/short 10yr)

currencies made alot, especially the yen at 123.18.

CDS bets on goldman/lehman that were trading at junk levels came back and made a ton

gold lost me a lot, though i woulda exited at 680 or so to re-evaluate so not a massive loss (i said short at 654 due to reduction of liquidity issues. i made a huge mistake here and this is one bet i'm glad i had in my head since i learned a lot from it).

anyways, thanks for your thoughts but another reason i haven't posted full results is that i can't get them a lot of the time lol (i.e. i don't have full access to data streams to calculate historical sharpe ratios of a portfolio of my bets...or even returns..)

if i'd have to guess though i'd bet i'm up a little bit, maybe 7-8% or so overall on a vol of probably 20-25% so maybe around a .30 information ratio. not sure though as the yen bet was by far the strongest signal and woulda taken up a big amount of risk in the alpha portfolio so maybe more returns, followed by the CDS bets on a reduction of insurance cost of debt of GS & LB...

that ratio (.35 or so) was what i had at my old job trading global markets w/ my bonus so i may have just used that as a guesstimate of what i'd have made w/ these bets.

i do have to say though i'm at least glad shoe is making a log of his bets. it helps to keep winners and losers in mind to make sure you aren't biasing yourself (though that is wiped away w/ a ton of ego lol)

Barron

EDIT: i obv agree w/ the point of your post: the process of making the decision and managing a portoflio of your decisions is the whole idea.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sho,

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say I am much less concerned about publicizing my results (despite what the title of this thread would lead you on to believe) and more intersted in finding a truely smart group of investors that we can all bounce ideas off of each other. I am most interested in building my investments and maximizing my returns. I definitely think I can learn here on this board and hope to help others as well. No doubt there is a lot of talent here. I would prefer to post my ideas here and have a legitimate discussion on them, rather than a bunch of "hope you go broke" and "your an idiot" type replies (which are surprisingly lacking in this thread). I can always find another forum, and have started browsing other sites but I'd much rather stay here.

With that being said, I would be kidding myself if i said i would not find it appealing to make a name for myself as being able to pick good stocks and have a website/blog/newsletter type thing, that could potentially open the door for opportunities somewhere down the road. Everyday (even when my stocks have a great day), I kick myself because in the grand scheme of things, I have so little invested.

My dream is to be able to live off of my investments. While I feel I am on the right path, it definitely can get extremelty frustrating when you see great buying opportunities but no funds to invest in them, only to see what would have been great returns. Don't take that the wrong way -- it does not make me go on tilt or take unnecesary risks with my bankroll, it just frustrates me when I see an opportunity that I am completely unable to take advantage of. however, I suppose even if i had millions of dollars, if those were fully invested i'd be frustrated that I didn't have another milliion to throw at something. But I am really off on a tangent now, I'll try to get back on subject.

Also, many of the ideas I have posted here have been completely ridiculed (even though in hind-sight they would have generated great returns -- I do understand it could be a short-term fluke, I hope to prove that part wrong), so part of the reason for this thread was purely for revenge in my own sort of way. I could have just easily gloaked in silence, but the other night I thought this was a great idea for a thread. Now, I don't regret creating it as it definitely has generated some useful discussion, but it is definitely not something i'd consider typical of myself.

Also, I'm 28.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 AM

Aren't you the guy who edited his profile every day so that it was always his birthday?

This last post was yet again blithering nonsense; a shining example of why this smart group you "truely" wish to create would immediately exclude you.

J
Old 10-12-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could have just easily gloated in silence, but the other night I thought this was a great idea for a thread. Now, I don't regret creating it as it definitely has generated some useful discussion, but it [the thread] is definitely not something i'd consider typical of myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

you gotta admit, shoe...this is pretty funny...

it implies that typicall you would simply gloat to yourself lol.

how does that work exactly? do you sit in front of a mirror and bask in the refelctive glow of your own glory??

Barron
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, many of the ideas I have posted here have been completely ridiculed (even though in hind-sight they would have generated great returns -- I do understand it could be a short-term fluke, I hope to prove that part wrong), so part of the reason for this thread was purely for revenge in my own sort of way. I could have just easily gloaked in silence, but the other night I thought this was a great idea for a thread. Now, I don't regret creating it as it definitely has generated some useful discussion, but it is definitely not something i'd consider typical of myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is shoe, successful long-term investors leave their ego out of the market and their decisions. If people think you're an arse - just ignore them.

You don't see Buffet w@anking off to his ROR do you?

trading without ego
[ QUOTE ]
You hear about it. You read about it. Don't be misled. Traders tell stories. They write stories. They tell how great they are. Big trades. Big numbers. Big egos. Hubris. And sooner or later, big downfalls. It goes with the territory.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

I'm sure this has been posted before, this being a poker forum and all but this is a reminder, not just for Shoe, but for all of us.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you the guy who edited his profile every day so that it was always his birthday?

[/ QUOTE ]

For a short while, but it's too much of hassle to keep changing it. But as we all know, that is the most important aspect as to determining if someone is a good investor or not. Anyone who would do something like as ridiculous as that could obviously never be a good investor.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is shoe, successful long-term investors leave their ego out of the market and their decisions. If people think you're an arse - just ignore them.

You don't see Buffet w@anking off to his ROR do you?

trading without ego
[ QUOTE ]
You hear about it. You read about it. Don't be misled. Traders tell stories. They write stories. They tell how great they are. Big trades. Big numbers. Big egos. Hubris. And sooner or later, big downfalls. It goes with the territory.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and after this post I am done responding to any negativivity. The only thing that will speak for myself after this thread will be my results.

Also, I'm sure if Buffet had started on 2+2 (which he didn't because the internet wasn't even invented yet) and was ridiculed constantly, he would have made a few gloat posts as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

I'm sure this has been posted before, this being a poker forum and all but this is a reminder, not just for Shoe, but for all of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great read, ty