Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
edit: are you saying immigrants shouldn't have to learn english b/c it's not the official us language?

[/ QUOTE ]

Imigrants should not be required to learn english. Also employers should not have to hire (or continue to employ) those that don't speak english. Everyone should be allowed to do what they want.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not?

if they shouldn't be required to learn english, they shouldn't expect to be able to function in a country without learning the language spoken by all of its citizens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether they should expect it or not, many people DO function in the US without knowing english.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of jobs have someone who knows Spanish given an advantage over someone who doesn't if they have to deal with customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what?

If people don't want to learn a second language? Fine. But they shouldn't complain when they are less marketable. Being able to communicate to a greater % of people is an asset to a business.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The two employees, who were clothes sorters, had been working at the Salvation Army for about five years before the Salvation Army decided to enforce their English language rule. One would think the Salvation Army would have a hard time proving that they weren't able to communicate with them if they had already been kept on for five years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_505139.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the Salvation army is right, but it's still ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think they are wrong? how is it unreasonable to expect a worker to speak the official language of the country in which they live?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the official language of the US is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that the vast majority of American citizens speak English as a first language, therefore, it is in a businesses best interest to have employees who can communicate in English.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny because you were just complaining about the state's Spanish course. So let's use your own words here: I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that a significant number of American citizens speak Spanish as a first language, therefore, it is in a state's best interest to have employees who can communicate in Spanish.

Please tell me how my logic is flawed? It is your own logic after all.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with the "mandatory" part of it [regarding Spanish skills for a job]. ... As to the OP, I also believe that a business is certainly entitled to require all employees to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The two employees, who were clothes sorters, had been working at the Salvation Army for about five years before the Salvation Army decided to enforce their English language rule. One would think the Salvation Army would have a hard time proving that they weren't able to communicate with them if they had already been kept on for five years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_505139.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying the Salvation army is right, but it's still ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you think they are wrong? how is it unreasonable to expect a worker to speak the official language of the country in which they live?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the official language of the US is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of that, I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that the vast majority of American citizens speak English as a first language, therefore, it is in a businesses best interest to have employees who can communicate in English.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny because you were just complaining about the state's Spanish course. So let's use your own words here: I don't see how any sane person can honestly disagree that a significant number of American citizens speak Spanish as a first language, therefore, it is in a state's best interest to have employees who can communicate in Spanish.

Please tell me how my logic is flawed? It is your own logic after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, here it is. I'm amazed you can't grasp this concept. It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

I have no problem with people who can speak 5 languages, but if you are living in America, and hope to be a functioning member of American life, English should be one of those five!

I never said being bilingual wasn't a positive, what I said was that if you can't communicate using the language most Americans use, you're not a valuable asset to an employer in America.

Edited to add:

Don't forget, I already fluently speak English, Spanish is to be my second language (third if you count American Sign Language as a language).

I don't work with anyone who cannot speak English. All employees are required to.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My problem is with the "mandatory" part of it [regarding Spanish skills for a job]. ... As to the OP, I also believe that a business is certainly entitled to require all employees to speak English.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not hypocrisy, it's common sense. What language are you communicating in now?

I certainly wouldn't hire someone who to work for me who couldn't communicate with me or my customers.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because you say so? Did you just declare an official state language for all of America right here on 2+2? Is that now the law of the land? Sorry, dude, but you don't get to tell every business and state/local govt in America which language it MUST conduct its business in.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not hypocrisy, it's common sense. What language are you communicating in now?

I certainly wouldn't hire someone who to work for me who couldn't communicate with me or my customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

But some of your customers speak Spanish so again your logic fails. Or rather you just justified the very policy you are railing against.

Oh and LOL at using what language we're using here on a private poker forum as some sort of point in this debate. Muy loco, hombre.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because you say so? Did you just declare an official state language for all of America right here on 2+2? Is that now the law of the land? Sorry, dude, but you don't get to tell every business and state/local govt in America which language it MUST conduct its business in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I did. I simply said that if a business owner won't hire someone who can't speak English, good for him. He's got an advantage over someone who will when I need whatever service he provides.

A business owner has the right to hire whomever he chooses.

A question to you. If I have two otherwise equally qualified candidates apply for a job, with the exception that one cannot speak English, so I go with the one who can, would you support that candidates right to sue me for not hiring him, because I instead chose the other candidate?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy ftw.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But some of your customers speak Spanish so again your logic fails. Or rather you just justified the very policy you are railing against.

Oh and LOL at using what language we're using here on a private poker forum as some sort of point in this debate. Muy loco, hombre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, please quote the post where I said being bilingual wasn't a positive. I've repeatedly said that being bilingual is a plus.

If some of my customers speak Spanish, someone who is bilingual will have an advantage if I require that, but it still doesn't change the fact that the majority of my customers will speak English.