Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 02:08 AM

Default ** DVD Club Nominations for first half of August **

DVD Club details here

If you want to nominate, you need to be a member for it to be valid, but you're expected to watch and comment on whatever gets voted in.

If you're a member, put your nomination in here.

My nomination is A matter of life and death

This is a great movie starring David Niven, directed by Powell and Pressburger, set in WW2, where David Niven is a airman who accidentally gets missed by 'heaven' when he's supposed to die, and who falls in love during the time between 'death' and them catching up with him. This results in a trial in heaven to determine whether they should still take him, now he's fallen in love.

From a user comment on IMDB: 'Enchanting, romantic, innovative, and funny. The vision of this extraordinary film is almost unparalleled'
Old 07-25-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: ** DVD Club Nominations for first half of August **

I nominate Cool Hand Luke. It is the greatest movie ever made and perhaps the greatest creation in the history of art. You can watch Cool Hand Luke on your computer by using the "watch now" feature on netflix. I keep it on constant loop when I am online at home and work - - I'm sure this is very common and will allow for multiple viewings and a lot of discussion.

I also nominate this DVD - http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Age_of_...1134052248_0_0
Old 07-25-2007, 10:27 PM

I nominate Kieslowski's transcendent The Double Life of Veronique, newly released on DVD in the US and UK.

The film follows the lives of a young woman first in Poland, Weronika, and then a young woman in France, Véronique, both played by Irène Jacob. Though unrelated, the two appear identical, share many personality traits, and seem to be aware of each other on some level, as if they are doppelgängers; but except for a brief glimpse through a bus window in Kraków, they never meet. After Weronika sacrifices everything in the pursuit of a singing career, Véronique abandons her own similar goal because of poor health and attempts to find an independent course for her life, while becoming involved with a manipulative man who is fascinated by clues to her double nature. The man is a puppeteer and maker of marionettes, helping raise the questions that are central to the film: is there such a thing as free will, or is it up to a creator of some kind, or is it just a matter of chance that one acts and thinks as one does?

It's magical, gorgeous and thought-provoking. Also, it stars one of he great screen beauties of the early 90s, Irene Jacob:

She won Best Actress at Cannes for this role.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:32 PM

I nominate Hable con Ella-aka Talk to her

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0287467/

for me, this film is in the must see category for everyone. This is quintessential almodovar and really goes in depth with what makes someone love and what drives us for love. This film is more then that though as it is really at it's heart about teh human condition. This film is also probably more widely available then All about My mother
Old 07-26-2007, 08:31 AM

My nomination is The Fortune Cookie

The Fortune Cookie

I'm pretty sure this is the first pairing of Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathau. It's an enjoyable Billy Wilder comedy bringing out the best in both actors. Mathau won the oscar for best supporting actor for his efforts.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:39 AM

DB,

I don't believe A Matter of Life and Death is available on a Region 1 DVD. (How about I Know Where I'm Going by P and P?)
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM

Great choice--especially since I have the DVD at home.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DB,

I don't believe A Matter of Life and Death is available on a Region 1 DVD. (How about I Know Where I'm Going by P and P?)

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH! How uncivilised!

Okay, I change my suggestion to Black Narcissus

This is a fab little movie about nuns suffering from the strange, sensually charged atmosphere of a nunnery in the Himalayas that was a house of pleasure in the past.

Every single movie I've ever seen with mad nuns is terrific.

(I'd love to see this double-bill with Ken Russell's 'The Devils')
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Okay, I change my suggestion to Black Narcissus

This is a fab little movie about nuns suffering from the strange, sensually charged atmosphere of a nunnery in the Himalayas that was a house of pleasure in the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! I actually have this dvd sitting by my desk. It came in the mail weeks ago and I have been ignoring it. Hope it's as good as you claim [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 07:39 PM

nuns going mental from repressed sexual frustration...what's not to like?