Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Im starting to feel evil

I wouldn't worry too much. The really evil people tend to be the ones who assume they're morally justified in every choice they make. Acknowledging an uncomfortable proximity to evil probably means that you're both careful and honest and that I'd tend to trust your judgement.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:01 PM

Re: "Im starting to feel evil"

It's normal. I'd bet that you are not however. I'm sure you basically treat others as you wish to be treated and that would lead me to believe you are not at all "evil".
Old 10-31-2007, 07:26 PM

Sorry deuces, my point was aimed at splendour, not at you. I was trying to agree with you, I feared it would come across this way - my bad.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:39 PM

I was actually contrasting Mother Theresa's quote/idea with this part of your list:

1. Objectivity is the ability to see things from a non-subjective perspective, it isn't 'detachment' or 'disconnection'
Old 11-01-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry deuces, my point was aimed at splendour, not at you. I was trying to agree with you, I feared it would come across this way - my bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all good! Linguistic circle-running ftw! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As a complete sidenote, there was done some experiments on this, and some 80% felt their written words was misinterpreted 'in tone' by the reader when 'debating' in controlled/experiment settings (I'll disclaim that this is abit hazy memory for me, but the general principle is true atleast). Something for all of us to consider on a message board I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hijack over!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:34 AM

I think it takes at least some megalomania to -not- be evil. I'm the most generous person that I know, and I think it stems from me feeling obligated to help out those less fortunate than myself. I include about 99.99999% of the population in that group.

I only avoid that behavior when I think that someone is a jackass, and in that case I screw them over. You'd be shocked at how few jackasses I come across, though.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 PM

Like Spendour said, it's very interesting that you call your feelings "objective" and that you find an inherent link between your selfishness and your so-called objectivity.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 PM

Mother Teresa was an agnostic, if not an atheist, for many years prior to her death. She still cared about other people up until her last day, however. 'Faith' has nothing to do with this.

What does is the fact that empathy is a mind muscle. If you decide you don't need to use it for some period of time, you will become increasingly bad at it. Empathy is one of the most powerful and important tools that humanity has developed. It doesn't matter if it can be reduced to biological tricks or neuron behavior, we have evolved for this capability because it helps us survive.

Those without any empathy are certainly less fit. They are the sociopaths. Those who are capable of empathy but do not use it are just making a poor mistake, something that is easily correctable with practice.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 PM

My op was extremely vague and general. As my understanding of the world slowly changed things like morals and integrity seem to me to just be ways of making yourself better in society.

I could be 100% Mr Nice guy and still be unhappy if i didnt get the rest right.

My point is that as i started to think, i saw actions as just techniques for self gain.

I could live in the 'real' cold hearted selfish world.
Or ignore it altogether and be mr nice and try to live 'good'.

Surely knowing the above choices in itself makes me more likely to be 'evil'.

I know at the mo im sensitive to others feelings and like to help someone suffering, but i would say it seems less and less logical to me.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My op was extremely vague and general. As my understanding of the world slowly changed things like morals and integrity seem to me to just be ways of making yourself better in society.

I could be 100% Mr Nice guy and still be unhappy if i didnt get the rest right.

My point is that as i started to think, i saw actions as just techniques for self gain.

I could live in the 'real' cold hearted selfish world.
Or ignore it altogether and be mr nice and try to live 'good'.

Surely knowing the above choices in itself makes me more likely to be 'evil'.

I know at the mo im sensitive to others feelings and like to help someone suffering, but i would say it seems less and less logical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're more likely to be good than evil. My impression is that selfish people are only aware of their own goals so they hardly think of the other world at all.