Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Common but tricky(?) spot....

This is a spot where i am not sure what the right line is after his turn check. I feel as if I make any substancial bet the only real action im going to get is from a hand that just trapped me (JJ KK KJ 88) If he peeled with QQ im not getting action if I fire again, but I feel i need to protect from a flush draw, so whats the right move here?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $153.45
BB: $79.65
UTG: $251.35
MP: $101.50
CO: $128.50
<font color="black">Hero (BTN): $150.40</font>

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3.50</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $12.00</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $8.50

<font color="black">Flop:</font> ($25.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $18.00</font>, UTG calls $18.00

<font color="black">Turn:</font> ($61.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks
Hero ??

Pot Size: $61.50
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Common but tricky(?) spot....

huh? You have TPTK, bet $38 on the turn and lets move on. You are looking way too deep into this without any reads.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 PM

i don't like checking the turn at all...

sometimes you are gonna be trapped, but most of the time you are either in the lead and/or fighting a flush draw.

You have position. Bet 2/3 of the pot on the turn. if he re-raises you, then you can fold. If he just calls, then you can go for a value bet on the river if a diamond does not hit.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel as if I make any substancial bet the only real action im going to get is from a hand that just trapped me (JJ KK KJ 88)

[/ QUOTE ]
There are a gazillion draws on this board, so you need to bet to deny them a free card. If the board was dry you could argue for a WA/WB line and go for pot-control, but definitely not in this case.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 PM

action im going to get is from a hand that just trapped me (JJ KK KJ 88) If he peeled with QQ im not getting action if I fire again, but I feel i need to protect from a flush draw, so whats the right move here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a reason not to bet. There are many more reasonable hands that you beat that will call the flop bet. If you're raised, then you can start shifting his range to more hands that beat beat you, but you still need to bet the turn.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Sounds like $30 more to me. Enough to kill pot odds and still leaves you pleny with which to play if he calls and checks again or if he just pushes and you have the fortitude to get away from the hand.