Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 03:46 AM

Default I\'m bringin\' sexyback

Lots of questions here, actually.

6-handed 30/60 Stud Hi. A 3 brings it in, a bad player completes with 6 up, and I have (J7)7 with two Kings and a five behind me. I decide to raise it. Oops - the first King reraises me. I guess it's possible he has something like (AsXs)Ks, but I think this player has dead split kings here the vast majority of the time. It's folded around to the bad player who calls sixty more. I call.

At this point, what's my plan for the hand? My first instinct says to see fifth and get out if I don't improve or pick up a draw. But is the pot big enough to see the river if the King's board isn't too ugly?

On 4th, the K catches a suited 5, which I of course hate. He bets, the other guy calls with something stupid, and I call, after catching an offsuit 8. On 5th street, I pair my door card making trips. I bet out, obviously, and the K calls (the bad player folds). On 6th, our boards are:

Me: (J7)7879
Him: (xx)Ks5sQ5

The straightforward play is to simply bet, bet. Anyone consider a check/raise here? What about check/raising the river if he calls?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: I\'m bringin\' sexyback

1) Don't use Justin Timerblake for a thread title ... I don't care how late it is [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
2) Pots too big to fold third, I'd say go to 5th and fold UI, but a case can be made for folding jacks up depending on the king's play.
3) Check/raising sixth is pretty sexy, but if he catches a boat or a flush on 7th he could tittysmack you right back, but thats a risk you should be willing to take. From his point of view he may think you have a pair in the hole if you check sixth, and know that you're beat by his kings up ... depends on how aggressive this guy is.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:51 AM

Post deleted by Andy B.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:35 AM

Blump, I'm starting to be more in the camp of check raising when I KNOW they guy is going to bet.

If your opponent is on a Flush draw, he's going to gladly appreciate the free card, and if he has two pair, there's still a good chance he checks behind.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:54 AM

How bad is the bad player? I'm not actually a big fan of raising a complete there generally. Once you do raise I go to 5th for sure, farther if I make a gutshot with my pair or catch an A or second pair.

I like the checkraise on 6th against an aggressive thinking player. It does suck if he checks behind though.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:38 AM

interesting. Your board is pretty drawy, so he may be compelled to try and bet and charge you and try to make you check the river, but by the same token if doesn't have split kings, and has the 5's plus fd, he's autochecking. So if you can tell me the weighted range is enough towards split kings/buried JJ+ vs the fd, then I say go for it.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:26 PM

Unless you're convinced he'd reraise a big three-flush, I'd fold. If you put him on split kings, you're a dog -- even with his dead king. I'd definately fold to the reraise. Barring that, fold 4th. Would you really call down all the way even catching merely, say, Jacks-up on 4th regardless of how aggressive he continued to play?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Fold third the first time around. Fourth/fifth are fine. I'd just bet sixth and seventh. No need to get sexy here.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold third the first time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the worst player completes with a likely pair of sixes and I have split sevens? Just because there are two Ks behind me? That seems awfully weak and has to wrong.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 PM

If he is aggressive, I think 5th is a good opportunity to check-raise. He will never raise you if you bet (unless he's terrible), but he will bet and call the raise a substantial percentage of the time (a typical aggressive player probably bets 5th when checked to about 90% of the time, and very rarely folds to the raise. I would estimate you gain two bets around 75% of the time, which is better than one with certainty).