Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Default When losing feels way worse, than winning feels good?

Has anyone had this problem when losing at poker really gets you down whereas winning doesnt give you much of a reaction at all? Playing at my limits (2/4) I get really down if I have a losing session, even $100, but if I win $500 I dont really feel anything particularly good. Its like im used to the high, but still get the lows. This isnt really a huge issue, as long as im making money I can put up with varience, but I dont think im enjoying the game as much anymore because of it. It doesnt effect my game, but poker has become a chore nowadays to make money rather than playing for the pleasure of the game.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: When losing feels way worse, than winning feels good?

If this is really true, you will never be a great poker player, but rather a grinder. Accept that and move on with your life.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 AM

I think its because if you've been a winning player for a while, winning isn't a good thing, it's the expected norm. your a winner, so you should win. however, with expierience you should grow used to losing days, as it comes with the territory. what always makes me feel better is to pull my entire graph, and see that the downswing I just had is just a tiny bump in the road compared to everything else I've already been through.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:35 AM

I think you shouldn`t focos ont Net you made. Just look up your 10 biggest losing and winning hands every session and check if you played these hands right. If yes clap yourself on the shoulder.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:01 AM

standard
Old 05-10-2007, 02:52 PM

Yeah, I get this too. Buy yourself something nice with the next winning session and look at it/think of it when you have winning sessions. That way you associate winning with good stuff rather than just an increase in your virtual bank balance.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM

Not me at all. Like anyone, I hate to lose but when I win I love it. Even medium sized wins give me a rush. I speak only for myself, but whenever I take racks that I have won to the cage and cash them in it is a great feeling. Especially when I know that I have played that best that I possibly could. Online it is obv not the same feeling cause you don't physically take chips to cash in. It si a rush for me. Maybe some dont' feel this but I do with wins.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I get this too. Buy yourself something nice with the next winning session and look at it/think of it when you have winning sessions. That way you associate winning with good stuff rather than just an increase in your virtual bank balance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best advice for this problem. After I have a good week I tell my friends I HAVE to buy something- and I'm not joking either. Its that motivation to keep you playing after you win. If you play for 2 months stright and win a lot and don't buy anything, theres just no way you can feel good. You must have rewards, or whats the point? Just to see some # on a computer go up?
Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 AM

yep i got that

I don't see it as too much of a problem, because it seems to counteract tilt. I really hate to lose

I guess I still enjoy it enough
Old 05-12-2007, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best advice for this problem. After I have a good week I tell my friends I HAVE to buy something- and I'm not joking either. Its that motivation to keep you playing after you win. If you play for 2 months stright and win a lot and don't buy anything, theres just no way you can feel good. You must have rewards, or whats the point? Just to see some # on a computer go up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of purchasing some material object that you don't really want/need, try spending some money on an experience. All you will likely get from purchasing something (unless you really have genuine good use for it), is buyer's remorse. A good experience will make you feel good.

Or you could spend the money on upgrading your luckbox. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]