Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Serious Question for Christians and others

1. If God is Omnipotent- and all knowing of the past, present, and future.... Then how do have any control of our lives at all if God knows whats going to happen.... Are our choices an illusion because God knows whats going to happen, and thus will happen.... Or is God outside of time, and we indeed have choices over our lives......

2. The Human Race- According to the bible, when was the human race created, alternatively according to scientists when did the "beginning" of the human race start.....

3. The Rapture------ The saved will just disappear from earth and be directed straight to heaven???? What if a father who is saved, is driving a minivan on the highway full of 8 children that aren't, does the minivan crash and the children die, or does God intervene..... Or will certain people disappear at certain times, convienient times, where no one will get hurt...... I am just trying to learn as much as possible about faith because I am seeking it....

4. Good Works- that good works mean nothing for you to go to heaven..... You have to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior to get into heaven, otherwise your hell bound.....

5. According to historians and archaeologists- Did Jesus the man, ever exist, is he confirmed to have lived on earth????

6. Are Dinosaursever mentioned in the old or new testament???

7. I want to- believe.... There is no doubt that I am a theist and I believe in a supreme being.... But the whole Jesus idea is giving me trouble.... Is there somewhere I can start to learn more about him????? Or should I just read the bible cover to cover.....

Hope this is better, thanks a lot......
Old 08-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Serious Question for Christians and others

The best provisional answer to all your questions is: nobody knows for sure. If you are concerned for the salvation of your eternal soul, then become a Catholic.

But for goodness sake---don't be one of those people who are comically overeager to reach conclusions, no matter if they're true conclusions. Accept uncertainty!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned for the salvation of your eternal soul, then become a Catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahaha

If you were going to hedge your bets, it's a toss up between fundamentalist Muslim and fundamentalist Protestant. The Catholic Church/doctrine has been dead wrong way too many times to have any credibility, and these days they directly contradict the very holy book they gain legitimacy from. From an outsider looking in, there's no way they're the favorite.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were going to hedge your bets, it's a toss up between fundamentalist Muslim and fundamentalist Protestant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not consider the Jews? They've been around longer than the two groups you mentioned. The Muslims and Protestants are johnny-come-lately's.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Phil -

IMO fundamentalist Protestant and Muslim barely qualify as religions; more like social creeds that perfectly effect the simultaneous paralysis of reason and charity. (Edit - thereby converting men into sheep, a transparently pragmatic accomplishment.)

At least there's still mysticism in the Catholic church. And at least Catholics don't base their doctrine on historical/moral/philosophical "arguments." All of which are no more than exercises in intellectual suicide.

And agreed Judaism >> Protestant + Muslim.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:51 PM

3. rapture

a 19th century doctrine based on below, generally thought to have no merit.

Matthew 24:40-42 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
[NIV at IBS] [International Bible Society] [NIV at Zondervan] [Zondervan]

40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Good Works- that good works mean nothing for you to go to heaven..... You have to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior to get into heaven, otherwise your hell bound.....

[/ QUOTE ]

read revelation 20, what can i say.

http://www.intercontinentalcog.org/I...ty-three.shtml
seems to be accurate, but I'm not a biblical scholar.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are concerned for the salvation of your eternal soul, then become a Catholic.

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahaha

If you were going to hedge your bets, it's a toss up between fundamentalist Muslim and fundamentalist Protestant. The Catholic Church/doctrine has been dead wrong way too many times to have any credibility, and these days they directly contradict the very holy book they gain legitimacy from. From an outsider looking in, there's no way they're the favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're normally coherent, but when it comes to Catholicism, you turn into a drooling sociopath with a pork fetish.

The whole basis of your argument is FOS. You claim the Church has been dead wrong too many times, when it only claims infallibility on matters of faith and morals. And since this is outside the realm of the empirical sciences, how can you possibly prove that it has erred?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

5. According to historians and archaeologists- Did Jesus the man, ever exist, is he confirmed to have lived on earth????

[/ QUOTE ]

Most serious historians believe Jesus existed. Opinions tend to differ from that point.

If all these questions you're asking are serious ones I suggest that you find a better place to look than this atheistic dead end. There are Christians here who are glad to help but you would be better off googling, or even better going to church.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Thank you notready..... I was looking for serious answers....