Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Losing weight fast or slow

I trained seriously for 15 years before encountering various illnesses that laid me up for the majority of the past 5 years. For the first time in my life I am badly out of shape. At just a shade under 6 foot, I was weighing about 235, and not a good 235. I started cutting back on food first for a few weeks, and dropped weight fast despite doing no cardio. I was down 13 lbs after 2 weeks. I figured water weight and it would slow. After another week of cutting back, I had dropped another 6 pounds.

I am not talking severe dieting,just eating well. At this point I said I have to slow this process down because I am obviously going to lose muscle. I started lifting after the 3rd week, and now after a month of working out again, I am a lb heavier. I realize that I was once a serious lifter and blow back up fairly quickly with good form and muscle memory. My quandry is that I am having a hard time finding a middle ground. It seems if I lift at all I don't lose a pound. I am about 217 now, and while I could carry the weight and be lean, at 35 I would prefer to be a solid 190. I am tempted to just knock off the lifting and shoot down to 185 in a short time, and then start lifting heavy again to put the 5 back on. I know this flys in the face of the lose slowly,don't lose muscle theory, but I know guys like Franco columbo and other older bb's say drop the weight fast and then work out.

For the experts, what is my quickest way to a rock solid 190? If I continue to lift I feel it will be a struggle even with heavy cardio to drop a 1/2 lb a week. I think I am just going to shoot the weight off and then hit it hard, even though it goes against conventional wisdom.

Any thoughts from the knowledgable.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Losing weight fast or slow

I think you should cut the fat off asap to allow more time for building muscle. The best way to do that while sparing muscle, is low carb dieting imo.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM

yeah, i think a fast plan is best for a lot of people cuz if they don't see results they will quit...try a low carb high protein like T-dawg 2 or such...also you have to lift weights...
Old 03-28-2007, 01:30 PM

Forget about losing weight. Worry about losing bodyfat. You'll lose more faster lifting than doing a bunch of cardio. If you're really in crappy shape now and start doing a circuit program or barbell/dumbell complex, you're not going to lose muscle, despite your diet.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Lifting weights burns a lot of calories and is not what causes you to gain weight. If your on a solid diet with high protein levels you will tone up and lose weight...Also look to incorporate HIIT workouts into your workout and ull see even better improvements