Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 PM

Default The New World - Terrence Malik

Ok, so my favorite movie is the New World, directed by Terrence Malik, and I think it is a unique movie in the sense that I believe that you have to be "intelligent" to enjoy it. First off, if you ask someone who has seen the movie they are either going to hate it and say its the most boring movie ever made or they are going to love it and say it's the greatest movie ever made (my source being browsing through hundreds of reviews on IMDB and other various sites). Now the New World is quite the opposite of most films coming out of Hollywood, its a slow paced, maximum style and dialog
film. It is also very "high-minded" (as the critics called Thin Red Line, also by Malick). Now the only reason I am posting this is for people who have seen the film and can share their thoughts on whether or not viewing this film could be a simply diagnostic test, such as IQ, for intelligence. I know it sounds ridiculous, but humor me for a moment. Lets assume film is the medium, instead of a test. It seems to me that one must posses some kind of abstract intelligence and vision to appreciate such a work of genius.

Captain John Smith: [voice over] Who are you whom I so faintly hear? Who urge me ever on? What voice is this that speaks within me... guides me towards the best? We shall make a new start. A fresh beginning. Here the blessings of the earth are bestowed upon all. None need grow poor. Here there is good ground for all, and no cost but one's labor. We shall build a true common wealth, hard work and self reliance our virtues. We shall have no landlords to reack us with high rents or extort the fruit of our labor.

thanks for your time.