Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 PM

Default Opinions please...

NL $10 max .05/.10 on bodog. I am in SB, dealt J,Q off. There are two callers, I call, BB checks. No one involed in the hand has more than $15 and smallest stack involved has ~$8 (me). Pot has .40.

Flop is 10, Q, K all hearts...I have the J of hearts. I check, BB checks, next player bets .25, next player calls, I call, BB folds. $1.15 in pot.

Turn is another Q, I check with trip Q's, flush draw, straight draw and royal flush draw. Player bets .75, next player calls, I call.

River is a J, giving me queens full. I check, next player bets .75, next player calls...I re-raise the size of the pot..both players call.

I win and then get absolutely cussed/fussed out for even being in the hand and "getting lucky"!! First of all, I get sick of all the "pro players" (lol) thinking they can lecture everyone.....and second of all...I see NOTHING wrong with my play here...

Opinions?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Opinions please...

NLHE is all about implied odds. The only thing is,you should have sized your river bet in proportion to their stacks rather than the pot. With a hand as unlikely as a backdoor Full House, you're more likely to stack someone with a probable Ace high flush.

If your odds of the full house are 23-to-1(give or take) you ideally want to get at least 24-to-1 at the river.

Don't worry about players calling your "lucky." You want them to think you're a donkey because they'll pay you off.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM

it's fine to complete this pf. post flop, you played it pretty passively, but that's not a big deal.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Okay, two things here. You threw in 5 cents into a 35 cent pot to see a flop. If none of those other players would have done that with QJ, I'll eat my shorts. Hypocrites and bad losers.

Second thing. Bet more often than calling. It will improve your game dramatically. My bet here is about 60% of the pot (of course it does depend somewhat on what is normal for this game or is normal for you but second buy bet .25 so that seems normal). I know you had a lot of draws and outs but they don't always come home for you. If you win the pot by making everybody fold, that's not such a bad thing. Also, if you are betting and getting money into the pot, you will win more when your draw does come in.

This isn't a hard and fast rule, it's called semi'bluffing. It also keeps other players on their toes because now they won't know if you have a draw, a set, top pair or nothing.

Also note that betting out here is not just for this hand. When people see you bet out and then win a hand, the next time you can bet out with a little less and you get more respect (and more folds).
Old 09-02-2007, 12:23 AM

When people berate me for 'bad' play I usually tell them I'm high... makes them even looser and angrier [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When people berate me for 'bad' play I usually tell them I'm high... makes them even looser and angrier [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like this.

How about expanding: "I'm high and you're funny. Thank you for that, want a hit?"
Old 09-02-2007, 08:03 AM

You played fine and had the right to be there pre-flop. Nobody raised and after flop you have good drawing hands. I may have raised after flop to really find out where everyone is but dangerous board and I can see why you played the way you did.

AS for the comments they are dumbass's - just ignore them or reply back and try to tilt them more. If comments really bug you switch them off.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:05 AM

only tiny mistake in my opinion is not going all in on river
Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 AM

I probably woulda raised the turn.

I wouldn't expect people to get ridiculous like that about a hand like this. Where are you realisically going to fold? Don't let people get to you....they're idiots 99% of the time.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Am I the only one who wants to bet the flop? We've got so many outs it's making my head spin, but only 2 are to the nuts. (boy are they pretty nuts...)

I really want to thin this field and get money in the pot right then.

If a made Ace-high flush chases me out with a reraise, I think we're ok with that, because turning a straight or lower flush after calling the flop might be costly.

I wouldn't call anything a clear error, though. They're not thinking through your hand in any detail, just seeing the runner-runner boat and assuming you chased with 2nd pair.