Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 AM

Default [censored]

villian is 28/17, thats all I know about him, there hasnt been anything of note ive seen since ive been at the table.

PokerStars $0.50/$1.00 No-Limit Hold'em - 6 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

UTG: $100.00
MP: $123.30
CO: $42.20
Button: $81.65
SB: $137.20
BB: $102.05

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#FF0000">UTG raises to $2</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($14.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets $13</font>, UTG calls $13.

Turn: ($40.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">UTG bets $15</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($70.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">UTG bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

Final Pot: $120.50

I swear to god I wanted to fold the turn, all the more so cuz he only bet $15, who the [censored] bets $15 unless they are holding AQ or 55? Then I just tilted and said [censored] it and called the river too. Am I being to hard on myself? Is he ever betting AJ or KQdd here?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Re: [censored]

Ugg. Being OOP really sucks. I'd bet the turn--decent amount like 25-30 bucks. Really easy fold if you get raised. If he just calls again, you've got a tough river decision.

As played, I can't fault you for calling such a small turn bet even though you're likely behind. River is a fold. He's value betting, trying to suck you in. No one with those stats bets AJ or KQdd on the river here (maybe the latter as a bluff, but not this small).
Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 AM

i put out a big bet on the turn....as far as the river goes u dont wanna hear it from me cause im more than likely stacking here knowing my NL skills. but in reality i think i would have to call down cause these bets are just way too small.

unless u know reads in general he only bets small with big hands then i would just fold
Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 AM

as far as betting the turn, I didnt do it because if I bet the turn any decent amount (30ish or so) I've just stuck half my stack in the pot on this hand, if I get raised Im toast, and I just finished reading the chapter in proffesional NL talking about not putting in more than a 1/3 of your stack and folding, so im prolly missaplying concepts, but thats what I was trying to avoid here.

I was planning on check folding to strong turn bet, since on this board I can't see what hed call me on the flop with and bet the turn with that Im beating. I guess he could bet diamonds as a bluff or just have been floating me or something, but I havent really run into that at all in 100NL and wouldnt assume that from someone until I get a read otherwise. Also, I don't see him calling a decent bet here with anything I beat given the board and without a read hes a fish. So against those hands I can get a little more value by checking cuz he likel checks behind and then I can make a value bet on the river he might possibly call since I checked the turn. Which I figure is more profitable than protecting myself from the times he has a diamond draw

I dunno, that was my reasoning
Old 09-06-2007, 10:48 AM

It seems fine to me, really. I know you ended up playing for 3/5 of your stack and weren't really happy about it, but that seems better to me than playing for your entire stack in this spot.

I mean, I'm not actually happy about seeing Villain's river bet, but in addition to the possibility that he also has AK, there is some chance he has AJ and thinks he's getting value versus your KK. And you are getting almost 4:1.

I guess that's kind of a thin hope, really (that he's betting AJ for value), as is the idea that he's firing one last bluff on the river for just $25 with just second pair or something. But I think I would have played the hand the same way you did, while expecting to be shown AQ.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems fine to me, really. I know you ended up playing for 3/5 of your stack and weren't really happy about it, but that seems better to me than playing for your entire stack in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comments from a Limit -&gt; NL relative noob:

Yeah, and another way to look at this is that the hand played as if the stacks were 60 BB and you got all the money in with TPTK. Or, even better, if I'm understanding that newfangled book correctly, with a $14 pot and $60 "stacks", you played TPTK as if your SPR were 4.

As far as the whole thing about putting not 1/3 of your money and folding. I haven't read the last couple of chapters yet, but until I see an explanation for that magical number, or think it through and find one myself, I am not blindly following that rule or using it to affect my decisions.

I think what you WERE doing was planning around commitment though, which seems like the right thing to do. If you bloat the pot you face a tough committment decision. You kept the pot small enough to make your decent hand worth the price.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:43 PM

I think we should have raised more preflop. An SPR of 6.5 or so is a little deeper than I think we should be. Making it $9 brings our SPR down to 5, which is a little better. We're also not too sad if he folds preflop, since we'd rather not have to play OOP.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:48 PM

given his bet sizes i cant imagine folding.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM

I think this is really easy calls.If you donīt think so youīre going to be outplayed a lot of times. You have a decent hand and it doesnīt cost that much.If villain sees he often can make you fold for small bets you will be in trouble.
However I prefer to bet 2/3 on turn. I canīt understand why you couldnīt put in a bet like that and then fold if he push.There is no logic behind that reasoning.
We should bet 2/3 because we probably have the best hand and to avoid being bluffed out from the pot.
Checking turn is just too weak IMO
Old 09-06-2007, 08:03 PM

apanage illustrates another scenario (along with nekos thread) where limit differs from nl. in limit, we almost always avoid lines where we bet/raise and then fold for one more bet. im one of the biggest proponents of the "never bet/fold a decent hand" mentality and half my posts over the last 3 years are proof.

in nl bet/fold is powerful and needs to be incorporated correctly in your arsenal.