Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: I turn a set and check-call

I think it's way, way more likely he flopped a set than has a straight. Even if he isn't terribly comfortable getting heavily involved without the nuts, on a baby flop like that he's going to push a set pretty hard because even he knows that he's ahead 99% of the time against a pf raiser.

I think I definitely c/r the turn to guarantee getting at least three bets in on the turn and river. I don't want to donk it and have Mr. Tight Passive go into his candy coated showdown shell on me and miss a bet. I would just call a threetown and c/c a river bet. I'm playing as if ahead until he three bets me, and even then it would be real tough for me not to pop it one more time. I think it's illegal to fold a set on the river for one bet on a board this dry.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:36 PM

I'd put him on AA, KK, QQ, or JJ. Hard to see him sticking around PF with A5 or 56. But no reraise? Maybe not with JJ. Maybe he put you on JJ-KK and figured he'd see a flop with A5. Who knows.

Only gigantic mistake here is folding but I'd be unable to stop raising with a set of 10s. Would he bet out with the nut straight? Maybe, but with JJ I would be playing just like him and oblivious to your set.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM

when i play against tight passives that view me as an aggro-lag kid they are just waiting for the chance to flop a set and go "crazy" on me. a set is just as likely as A5 or 65 imo. i mean, 2 3 4 flop, 44 HAS to be the nuts vs a preflop raisor right?

3 combos of 22
3 combos of 33
3 combos of 44
4 combos of A5s
4 combos of 65s

the sets have a slight lead here combometricly. how else would you expect this dude to play a set? and don't forget the times this type of player will just coldcall with AA-JJ waiting for safe flops to pound you.

in the games i play hardly anybody is that passive though i have certainly met players who are really passive and it would be best to just call down i suppose.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a set is way, way, more likely as A5 or 65 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. It's a tight passive coldcaller. How is this ever anything but a small pocket pair?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fear of folding is the number one attribute of, guess what? A fish/donkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i never folded an overpair in my life i think i would still do okay. certainly there are worse things that characterize a fish/donkey.

fear of calling is actually the number one attribute of mediocre winning players who are afraid to look stupid.