Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 02:59 AM

Default IQ of top poker players

I am posting this here because there seems to be a higher % of well thought out intelligent posts than in the other forums where I usually am.
I was reading a post last night which discussed Bobby Fisher's IQ which is either estimated or tested near or at 180.
I was simply wondering How important IQ is at poker.
Basically I wonder If you take a guy with a 150 IQ and another one with say 135, and let them lead their seperate lives and at age 25 they both sit down for their first game of poker, at the same table. Who is the favorite without any other information about these two men why? And if there were other variables about these two men, which one's would you first want to know and why?
Also would any of these variables change your opinion of who was the favorite?
I am fascinated with Highly intelligent people Like Bobby Fisher. Who sits down at a game of complete information and has unimaginable genius. And then away from that game has such a frail grasp of reality. It's as if one part of his mind couldn't be bound, and another was doomed to believe all the racist things he was taught.
I wonder if he would have been a calling station?
Never COMPLETELY sure of what you held.
I wonder what the estimated IQs of top players are estimated to be. Ungar, Greenstein, Brunson, Reese, Ivey, ok Sklansky, Malmuth? Ivey? Flack? Hellmuth? David Phan? Chris Moneymaker, HOYT CORKINS?
I've heard of these player who are supposedly genius but if asked how they do what they do they would be as articulate as "a jungle cat articulating how he hunts"

Please take a stab at any of these thoughts or question. Id like to hear one of your mensa guys opinions on the top player IQ question. Or Sklansky's as he would have experience with some of these men.
I would also like to hear of a low IQ top player. Are there any? Maybe an idiot savant type?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: IQ of top poker players

[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker

[/ QUOTE ]

You trying to bring the average down?
Old 10-06-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Moneymaker

[/ QUOTE ]

You trying to bring the average down?

[/ QUOTE ]
That was the point. I started with Ungar and ended with....um... Hoyt Corkins I think. This was just a list from top to bottom from the opinion of someone on the outside looking in. Granted looking in through Books, and TV, as I have never met a single one of these men. That is why I was asking the opinion of some of the IQ geeks and Sklansky. They are better informed..... Hopefully
Old 10-06-2005, 04:25 AM

David had a series of posts, including 10 most intelligent... which included discussions of poker players. It was last year, I can't seem to find it by searching..... would have given a link.
Old 10-06-2005, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David had a series of posts, including 10 most intelligent... which included discussions of poker players. It was last year, I can't seem to find it by searching..... would have given a link.

[/ QUOTE ]
I need that link. 1 year ago? David sklansky?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:35 AM

Oddly enough I was out walking my dogs just now and was thinking about something similar. I was thinking of two groups of people one with an IQ 2 sigma above the mean (130) and another group 2 sigma below the mean (70) and was wondering if they had an equal amount of professional training how wide the gap would be.

In a 10:20 stud ring game all opponants startting with $1000 I figured it would take about 30 hours for all of the 70 IQ's to be broke. That delta 4 standard deviations of intelligence would just be to great to overcome. I was wondering how small that gap would have to be before other variables became more important and would turn the difference into noise. I am thinking about 6 points.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In a 10:20 stud ring game all opponants startting with $1000 I figured it would take about 30 hours for all of the 70 IQ's to be broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. The 70's wouldn't even be able to pick up the basics - that is borderline retard territory. The idea of them lasting 30 hours against a bunch of reasonably bright guys is laughable.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM

Sklansky's 10 smartest poker players
Old 10-06-2005, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sklansky's 10 smartest poker players

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I think this question has been asked like a million times.

I think the comedian IQ thing was more interesting.

-blake
Old 10-06-2005, 10:24 AM

Ante $1
forced low $3
30 hands/hr
Fold every hand
$1000 in 30 hours