Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 AM

Default calling stations

I m so sick of it. How do you play them? I feel like its a massive spew raising/continuation bets when they never fold anything. I just got called down by Q9 high on a KKxxx board and t hey peel with J2 on a K43 no pair no draw. Seems like the only play with decent equity is to value bet super strong hands (with weak hands u never know if u re value betting since they could have AA, 2pair or whatever and not raise). So I wait all day for decent spots and even then they suck out half the time. Where s the profit? I m just so lost playing them and it feels like there s no skill left. Whats my edge? I m playing on a site where 3-4 out of 6 are total retarded stations or even bad LAGs. Here s a standard hand: I raise a standard hand AJ KQ etc they call. I miss the flop they check I bet they call. Now what? I just give up so many of these small pots. I have no idea what they have. I ve startedf taking AQ AK to showdown betting the turn and checking behind on the river and its good most of t he time. They peel with no pair no draw almost every time. So how do I beat the worst players ever? No fold equity, no patterns. All I can do is wait for hands and hope they hold up. The small profit I make from value betting goes to blinds, preflop raises, continuation bets and draws that miss. Maybe i should stop raising, bluffing? Just raise the better hands and give up when I miss my AJ KQ. They dont pay attention anyway so I can just value bet.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: calling stations

B
B
V

is

<-----

way
Old 03-23-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got called down by Q9 high on a KKxxx board and t hey peel with J2 on a K43 no pair no draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah I hate that too... Please..!

Value bet and dont bluff.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:23 AM

Obviously you're not gonna try and bluff a calling station with 6 high but when you actually think your hand might be good..

Say you raised with AT pre and got called and the flop comes rags. You cbet and station calls and you don't know wether he's drawing with J2 or he hit a pair. Bet again on turn? Or just give up the pot? Betting the turn with A high just feels like such a spew against a calling station.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe i should stop raising, bluffing? Just raise the better hands and give up when I miss my AJ KQ. They dont pay attention anyway so I can just value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you just answered yourself... I play a lot 5-handed at a similar site where on average 4 of 5 sees the flop. But on the contrary to you I find this very profitable. I almost never bluff, and never continuebet into more than 2 opponents. I play the odds and let them pay me of when I hit flushes and straights. Not very sofisticated but a very easy way to build a good sized bankroll. Tell me where you're playing and I'm there!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 AM

Well you raise preflopp becouse you have a better hand. Then you cb the flop (if its not to many stations)
Then you cb the turn when you have SD value (it its not to many stations)
Then you valuebet the river If you have a decent pair otherwise you check and hope your A-high holds up. When they raise you fold.
Then you fold three hands preflopp and then same story again. When they are tricky it gets harder, but really when the flop is K43 you love noting better than that they peel with J2.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 AM

[/ QUOTE ] I almost never bluff, and never continuebet into more than 2 opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really tempting to keep bluffing at these guys, since you KNOW they don't have it...but they'll call regardless and see that you don't have it either.

Making continuation bets against too many opponents has been a big leak in my game, too, that I am working on with good results. ie Not cbetting against more than 2 opponents.

Do all of your stations call down to the river every time? I have noticed that some individuals tend to fold the turn & esp. river pretty predictably and if I pay close enough attention I can really capitalize on this fact by not giving up too early (especially if I forgot to not bluff lol). Any nuance I can find in each player's play will help me.

You are playing better hands more aggressively and that right there gives you an edge on these players.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do all of your stations call down to the river every time?

[/ QUOTE ]

No only the best (best for me that is). Some fold at river a few at the turn and none fold at the flop.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:53 PM

Haha, I play so much more like a calling station lately. Why? Because many players have no clue how to beat them, they always complain about how bad the stations play and then happily continue to bet into them with draws etc. (well in so far 32/22/2.5 can be seen as a calling station...)
Old 03-23-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, I play so much more like a calling station lately. Why? Because many players have no clue how to beat them, they always complain about how bad the stations play and then happily continue to bet into them with draws etc. (well in so far 32/22/2.5 can be seen as a calling station...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! I think I know how to beat callingstations. TAG:s I have harder time with. Maybe play like a calling station against them? Nah... Probably easier to take the money from the children...oh I sorry mean callingstations...