Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: IQ of top poker players

Not good. I agree with him and he rated me extreamly stupid.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:29 AM

This would work if they took their seats and did nothing, sat there just waiting to lose without intervening. Nice idea, but your retards wouldn't think of that - they'd start playing hands. Flipping up mixed hearts/diamonds for a "red" flush, that sort of thing.

If you're allowed to inject them with a muscle relaxant first, so they can't act even if they want to, and the dealer puts their antes in - then maybe...
Old 10-07-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This would work if they took their seats and did nothing, sat there just waiting to lose without intervening. Nice idea, but your retards wouldn't think of that - they'd start playing hands. Flipping up mixed hearts/diamonds for a "red" flush, that sort of thing.

If you're allowed to inject them with a muscle relaxant first, so they can't act even if they want to, and the dealer puts their antes in - then maybe...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hilarious image
Old 10-07-2005, 07:44 AM

Since that list came out I found out that Ed Miller scored 1600 on his SAT. I now make him tied with Chris Ferguson for third followed by Lederer and Geary.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since that list came out I found out that Ed Miller scored 1600 on his SAT. I now make him tied with Chris Ferguson for third followed by Lederer and Geary.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read the "TOP 10 IQ players" Thread and after wading through all of the hate found it pretty interesting.
However I wasn't looking for the highest IQs in poker although I'm glad I got the link, as it was very interesting, I was more looking for the IQs of TOP players.
I don't know what it is but when I see Phil Ivey at a table on TV it just seems that he is going to get all the $. So I find it interesting that he isn't on your top 10 list.

I guess IQ isn't all important in all aspects of poker.
I bet Hoyt Corkins is the "Smartest at Farming" player.
But I have a feeling neither that nor his IQ is what makes him a good player.
I could be wrong. Maybe his IQ is off the charts.

I think everyone wonders what makes the best the best.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM

Phil Ivey is very smart. My top ten smartest are all excellent players. Intelligence is a major factor in poker success. But since there are other factors and since moderately intelligent people far outnumber brilliant people, it is probable that the best practitioner will not be one of the very most intelligent. This Bayes's Theorem fact confuses many people into thinking that it is wrong to say that the smarter you are the greater your chances of success.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Ivey is very smart. My top ten smartest are all excellent players. Intelligence is a major factor in poker success. But since there are other factors and since moderately intelligent people far outnumber brilliant people, it is probable that the best practitioner will not be one of the very most intelligent. This Bayes's Theorem fact confuses many people into thinking that it is wrong to say that the smarter you are the greater your chances of success.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perfectly answered thank you. Overkill in fact.
I wonder where Stu Ungar would be on this list if he were still alive.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:26 PM

http://iq-test.learninginfo.org/iq04.htm

Apparently, the IQ gives a good indication of the occupational group that a person will end up in, though not of course the specific occupation. In their book, Know Your Child’s IQ, Glen Wilson and Diana Grylls outline occupations typical of various IQ levels:

140 Top Civil Servants; Professors and Research Scientists.
130 Physicians and Surgeons; Lawyers; Engineers (Civil and Mechanical)
120 School Teachers; Pharmacists; Accountants; Nurses; Stenographers; Managers.
110 Foremen; Clerks; Telephone Operators; Salesmen; Policemen; Electricians.
100+ Machine Operators; Shopkeepers; Butchers; Welders; Sheet Metal Workers.
100- Warehousemen; Carpenters; Cooks and Bakers; Small Farmers; Truck and Van Drivers.
90 Laborers; Gardeners; Upholsterers; Farmhands; Miners; Factory Packers and Sorters.