Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2007, 12:33 AM

Default SB Theory Question

Are there any circumstances in which you would fold an A in the SB in an unopened pot?
Old 03-05-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: SB Theory Question

of course, why would you raise A2o vs. a good tag that 3 bets you a lot in position?
Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 AM

This brings up a related question (hope I'm not hijacking here) with what holdings do you open raise from the SB when it's been folded to you and there is a standard 23/17/2 player in the BB. I've been cutting down a lot lately on what hands I'll open with from the SB because they 3-bet you a ton and never believe you when you c-bet so they'll float you a ton as well.

In response to willw9's op I usually fold A2-A4o and raise the rest. Prob raise K8o and up and Q9o and up. Any pocket pairs, and 56s and up. As Al money said a lot of it depends on the villain and your history with him. If you've got a really loose calling-stationish type player you will probably want to open more high cards and less sc's, probably only raise A6o and up, raise a lot of broadway hands etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:20 AM

I fold a ton when OOP. I raise every now and then but for the most part, I'm folding.

Alternately, if someone continually tries to steal my blind, I'll defend with tons of hands. The positional advantage is too hard for nearly anyone to overcome, which is why I despise playing OOP.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:45 AM

While I agree with the above posts on ranges for opening against more straight forward players, opening up frequently against an observant player creates +EV situations later down the road. If BB will 3bet you and/or raise the flop with garbage then use it to your advantage. Change gears here and stop raising garbage as much and wait till you hit big and let him pay you off.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:58 AM

Why not just start checkraising the turn if you feel you're getting floated a lot?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just start checkraising the turn if you feel you're getting floated a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty high variance and we'll be putting a lot of our stack in the middle with nothing / weak holdings. I'd prefer to establish a loose image by initially raising a lot of hands, and then tightening up when the BB realizes this and starts 3-betting / floating liberally. Images don't change quickly in players' minds so changing gears like this can be very valuable.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:39 PM

I'm coming to the conclusion that the answer to this question depends on how good of a hand-reader the BB is, and how comfortable you feel making moves. Obviously, you can profitably 4bet A2o if he keeps 3betting you. Obviously, you can start check raising a ton of turns if he floats. All depends if you are capable of doing these things, and if the BB is capable to pick them off.