Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: $22 he shoved on me :(

call

RAISE PREFLOP
Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Maybe its weak, but i dont like raising this flop in position.
He most likely a bad player, and i dont want to play smth like 55-45 after he pushes his draw. Just call and re-evaluate the turn.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM

I raise pre-flop to 60 like jay said.

With the flop i prefer a call rather than a raise, however, if i do raise then i would know whether or not i am calling a re-raise, in this instance i would call a push as after making the 3 bet you are getting correct odds against his range.

i dont want to sound patronising but it seems like you just thought oh sweet i have a combo draw im gonna semi-bluff raise here, without thinking ok if i raise what am i going to do if he flat calls, or shoves etc. I know too well that its tough to always think ahead as things happen so fast in HUSNG's but i try to always think will i call a shove when i make a 3 bet, and if not i sometimes change my mind about that 3 bet.

With regards to the flop play i like a call better as it keeps the pot smaller, if he has no part of that flop he'll slow down and you can either take it from him or go to showdown with your pair of nines. Also you could be drawing to a split pot. I find these Flop textures misleading as they look great, pair and straight draw etc, but i find they get me spewing chips too often. Hope that helps a bit, sorry if it sounds condescending.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM

The problem with your flop raise is that you have a made hand already. By raising, you very likely will fold out his worse made hands and all hands that missed the flop, but he will call or raise his better hands, sth you obviously don't want.
He may 3bet hands with less equity (draws) too, but your equity vs. his 3betting range is much much lower than vs his calling range.
One reason to play a draw aggressive is the fold equity you gain. Here, you don't gain any FE, because he doesn't fold worse hands. My std line here is call flop, call turn ui, fold river ui (as long as I don't have any special read that he is e.g. always bluffing a busted draw).

The way the hand played out call.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:13 PM

don't raise the flop if you aren't snapping a shove