Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Hourly Rate, Table Selection and Number of Games per Hour. NLTRN

I have been doing some thought of late over which is the best way to play HUSNG's. As they are what i predominently play i want to make sure i am playing in the most profitable manner.

At the moment i have a monthly subscription with sharkscope and use explicit table selection where normally i will only play someone who has -10% ROI or worse, or have a much lower average stake than the game they are sitting in. This leads to me waiting around a bit more than most players i imagine. To compensate this i play a wider variety of limits, from 30's to 100's.

However, i am rethinking this and considering that just sitting first and playing whoever sits down may be better as the drop in ROI may be compensated by the increase in hourly rate.

I did some crude maths and worked out roughly that if you played the 50's and aimed for a $25 an hour hourly rate, then you would need the following win rates for the number of games you are playing:

5 games = 56%
6 games = 55%
7 games = 54.5%
8 games = 54%
9 games = 53.75%
10 games = 53.5%

These percentages are for turbo games, you can add 1% to all these totals for regular's.

Now i suppose the question i am asking is say i play 5 games per hour table selecting heavily will i be more likely to hit a 56% win rate than if i play say 8 games against randomly determined opponents and try and hit a 54% win rate.

I have also included 27% rakeback which i get at fulltilt to these results if we want to attribute this to poker stars or to someone who doesnt have rakeback you can just add 0.5% to the totals as a rough rule of them.

Any thoughts and suggestions and if anyone wants to berate my maths feel free.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Hourly Rate, Table Selection and Number of Games per Hour. NLTRN

You're not going to enjoy the variance at most of those winrates, but it's nice that you're pointing out to everybody just how profitable these games are, even without great ROIs.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:28 PM

Ok so variance will be bad so bankroll needs to be bigger to compensate. In your experience, is it better to play more games or only pick the good games?
Old 10-26-2007, 12:42 PM

Better to play more games/tables at a buyin you can kill than grinding out swings at a higher buyin (usually makes more sense $/hour but definitely mentally).

A good mix of grinding a level you're good at and game selecting higher games when they are juicy is what I'm working on doing right now.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:56 PM

At 5 games/hour at the $50+2.5 , winning 56% with a 5% rake (we'll include rakeback at the end) , you will earn 100*0.56 -52.5 = 3.5/sng . So 5 sng's per hour , you will earn $17.5/hour . With 27% rakeback , we add $3.375 which brings our hourly profits to $20.875.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 PM

jay that is true, however, the figures i gave were for the turbo's $55, rather than the regular's $50. I did note that you add 1% for the regular's so, 57% at 50's should give roughly $25 an hour.

chicago, i like the idea of what you said, grinding one level but checking the higher limits for the juicy games when possible that is what i will try for a smallish sample of say 200-500 games.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:10 PM

With a 53%-55% wr, I can't see any reason why you should stop table selecting.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a 53%-55% wr, I can't see any reason why you should stop table selecting.

[/ QUOTE ]
qft

Although, to be honest, on full tilt at the $50s, table selecting doesn't really seem to be any different than sitting first. Probably 75% or more of the people who join my games have big negatives anyway.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM

Also, it's going to be EXTREMELY tough (if not completely impossible) to get 5 games an hour at the regulars unless you're at least 2-tabling. I hit somewhere around 10 an hour 3-tabling.