Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: QQ in FTP 1k

insta call, u prob got pwned here by a smaller pair than urs
Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

Everyone--

I think Shannon played this hand well. It requires a little bit of a read, maybe, but in the current* climate, the player in Shannon's shoes is checking very often for pot control on the turn, and Villain knows that. I.e., it's much more common knowledge than before. Meanwhile it remains very common to fire another barrel with T9s or whatever when the Ace turns. And it also remains common for Villain with 99 or whatever to check-call the river if he plans to put money in.

So I guess I'd fold to extremely straightforward players, call against certain other bad players, ~fold~ to standard tournament grinder types, and call against very good players.

Also let me note that check-calling with ace-high is maybe not common but is somewhat more common than I think it's being made out to be, here.

(I read "apphilivey00"'s comment after I typed out what's above. Sort of funny that I used 99 as an example. I'm leaving it up out of some weird sense of honor. I'm not 100% convinced that "apphilivey00" (a) is the homonymous FTPer, (b) had 99, and (c) would play 99 like that very often.)

Anyway, I still think that this is a case when your hand looks a lot like one that will call. Also note that check-call / check-raise turn with a big hand is much less terrible here than it would often otherwise be, both because Villain doesn't risk losing so much action and because Hero is unusually likely to have air.

Again, this is sort of embarrassing to post, because various people who play way better than I do have already posted in disagreement, but I suspect it's at least maybe a little closer than they're making it out to be.

--Nate

*For "current" please read "as of four months ago when I played and sweated higher-stakes online tournaments regularly"
Old 11-06-2007, 06:46 PM

C'mon c/c a big ace here is very very rare. He's repping so thin (unless you think he bets KK then meh) that I call.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:19 PM

not only do i SNAPCALL this river, but i have no problem at all betting this turn and think we should with our entire range but that may have been too good information for you tourney players.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not only do i SNAPCALL this river

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a donkament, they don't bluff enough to be a snap call (although you prob should)

[ QUOTE ]
but i have no problem at all betting this turn and think we should with our entire range

[/ QUOTE ]

except for like AA obv I agree 100%
Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 AM

Kinda nit-picky here but if AA is the only part your range you aren't betting, well, that's bad, in theory...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 PM

There is *NO* way he's peeling an A off for 575 on the flop unless he's an insane Swede. I def call here with the sick odds on the river. By the way, bet the turn next time please and make this hand a lot easier on yourself.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:59 PM

I have a question: Why are we checking through the turn if it's not with the intention of inducing and calling a river bet?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a question: Why are we checking through the turn if it's not with the intention of inducing and calling a river bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

WD--

One possible answer is that in many situations now, your hand looks so much like a pot-control/showdown line that your opponent will play very honestly. Of course that can't be the complete game-theoretic analysis of the situation, but it's occasionally practical these days.

That said, I'm deferring to the judgment of the successful masses here and guessing that this isn't actually one of those spots, at least not against an unknown.

--Nate
Old 11-07-2007, 04:19 PM

It was more of a rhetorical question for OP - I understand there are times where checking through turn and folding river is OK because of what you said. I do NOT think this is good vs. randoms however, as you said.