Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 03:47 AM

Default Let\'s take this street by street...

Live 20/40 playing much like a 2/4 online game, yes this belongs here.

Loose passive lady who plays 80% of her hands, bets with the best/checks the rest, type limps UTG.

2 folds to me and I raise the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The button, who is the fiance' of a OK pro, can be over aggressive, never seen two broadway cards she didnt like, 3-bets. She thinks I play too loose and aggro preflop, but gives me respect postflop.

The BB who never folded a BB nor too many flops in his life, calls,

UTG calls, I cap, all call.

FLOP (16.5SBs): J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB and UTG check, I bet, button raises, BB and UTG call 2 cold. What is your plan and why?

I am taking off to Vegas tomorrow but will get back to this tomorrow night. Be as thorough in your response as possible as why you are going to do what you are doing and what you plan is on the turn.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Let\'s take this street by street...

I call and re-evaluate on the turn depending on what comes up, and how the betting goes. I can't really be more thorough without more information on the rest of the hand. If it comes something like 2c 3c then I just call down, unless there is more raising, the flop can't really get more dangerous than that when holding aces.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:12 AM

This is pretty much as bad as a flop for our hand as there is, so at this point I'm not too excited about my hand, however, I'm not ready to give up yet as I still might have the best hand. I'd call the flop-raise and if checked to, lead a safe turn, and if raised again by the button I'd fold, as I think it's unlikely the button would raise your lead twice w/ a worse hand, unless she's the type of player who thinks AJ is the nuts here, then I'd probably call down depending on what UTG and BB does of course.

I'd check-fold any heart or 4-card straight turn.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 AM

I'll call here and reevaluate on the turn. Our hand is likely best right now, but no one will make a TOP mistake if we threebet. If the turn comes good for our hand, I'll lead if checked to. Also if I lead the turn, I don't think I'm folding to a button raise. The pot's big and I think our equity may still dictate a call down against an aggressive player with a chance to face players who are probably drawing with two cold.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:16 AM

i would call and wait for a safe turn before i give any more action.

this is sort of a guesstimate, but a hand like K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Qx would have more equity in this spot than our two black aces(despite it being the best hand). of course if the turn comes a 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or some such blank, that would swing things dramatically into our favor. so i would wait for the turn.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:41 AM

yeah i definitely wait as well, i mite fold for 2 bets back on the turn otherwise id cr the field. I dont think a freecard is a concern. Buttons raise looks like protection to thin the field so hes not gonna play many hands this way that will take a freecard (or want to give one), the bare Ah will want people in and a weak pair plus good fd shouldnt play this way either and probably bets the turn if they raised the flop with one of those kinda hands. Ah and id 3bet obviously.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:48 AM

I don't think that we even have our fair share on that flop but I think the bet is fine because getting anyone to fold (a GS and many 5 or 6 out hands will not hang around on this flop) helps us out if we get a good turn card which would then make our equity much better. Now that no one folded and we got raised, I just call and see what the turn brings.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM

Is it wrong to just want to fold immediately?

Of course we can't do that, but it's sorely tempting...this is an absolutely awful flop for black aces vs. 3 opponents, even when two of them are pretty much ATC types.

My initial reaction is to call the flop raise & bet/fold a "safe" turn card, not that there are too many of those, unless of course that "safe" turn card is an ace (then bet/call, maybe bet/3bet/call if it's the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], check/call for the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]). From your read it seems unlikely that Button will raise again on the turn without a hand that beats your aces, assuming that you beat the other two anyway. If the turn is ugly, i.e. a non-A heart or another straight card, I can definitely see check/folding unless maybe it's the latter, Button bets, and the other two fold.

3-betting the flop just seems like spewage as, even if you're currently best, you get drawn out on often & never get rid of any opponents by doing so and Button could potentially cap for the free card. Folding immediately, as I said, is tempting but just weak.

Checking a safe turn card seems like a bad idea as Button will often take the free card with a hand that doesn't beat you but has outs to do so.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:35 AM

3 bet the flop. since utg called she is likely drawing meaning button doesnt have you ruined (yet). she is horrible and laggy and he is not an okay pro he is horrid.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 AM

I'd check-fold any heart

I'll assume you mean any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] other than A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]