Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Absolute Poker and Disney

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel there should be some sort of compensation as well, you were cheated and deserve some justice. However how do you come up with a different formula than what they are employing? What can you really base it on? I mean who says repayment+30% is any more fair than repayment+10% (current as you say, which would be 1.1 not 1.01).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten percent annual interest over the time period in question is about $1.01 per $1.00(and I certainly didn't receive 110% of my PokerTracker losses)

I'm not sure that there's an ideal repayment formula, but let's compare the way Absolute has handled tournament vs cash game play.

In the multi-table tournaments, Absolute refunded EVERY BUY-IN FOR EVERY PLAYER, regardless of whether that player ever even sat at the table with a cheater. Additionally, they let every player who won money keep the money they won, and they bumped up every player in the pay scale who finished below the cheater.

Also, while I'm not sure if this is true, at least one player claims to have been refunded for single table heads-up tournaments. In his case, he claims to have been refunded not only the buy-ins he lost, but additionally the money he would have received had he won the tournament.

In these two cases, Absolute is implicitly acknowledging that losses in unfair games are illegitimate, regardless of whether those losses were directly to the cheating player. Additionally, by paying out more money than was directly lost, they are acknowledging that it is their responsibility to go above and beyond merely "paying back" in order to make amends for what has transpired.

However, in the case of cash game players who were most victimized by the cheating accounts, Absolute is trying to get away with paying the minimum amount they feel they can justify.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that they have shown precedent towards paying more than the actual losses involved with the cheater in MTTs and i see where you are going with this and def think you and other cheated players should be compensated in some way for their losses

Having said that the above sounds like an opening statement for a lawsuit...
You gonna lawyer up Calv?
Maybe you can get them to pay back every dime you EVER lost on AP...
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 AM

LOL at OP for winning 200K BB Jackpot playing 1/2, then thinking he has the skill and bankroll to play 150/300.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

4. If, more than a month after Absolute admitted the cheating occurred, a player is not satisfied with the company's response, what steps should that player take?

[/ QUOTE ]

To start with I'd you know... never play there again.

Beyond that I think threads like this have a purpose. We haven't heard the continued outcry of people disatisfied with the outcome.
I think the reasons are twofold for that.
1) people were happy to get refunds, and stopped some of their outrage once they were made nearly/whole.
2) people realize there isn't a lot more that can be done when a [censored] site does something like this and is non-transparent like Absolute has been.

Last, I'm still wondering what happened to Gary Wise's article for ESPN on this.
I think that article getting dragged out/cancelled is a good example of how uninterested people got about this in a hurry once Absolute said "we'll take care of it now that you caught us".
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Last, I'm still wondering what happened to Gary Wise's article for ESPN on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

"From: wisehandpoker

Hey skillz, sorry for the wait. For legal reasons, espn is being very thorough with the editorial process, and at present we're researching whether there is any kind of federal action on the Absolute scandal, an inquiry that may not have an answer until next week. i can tell you that the article in its present form is 8600 words long, all-encompassing and that Nat and adanthar have proofed it and were pleased with the results. Don't worry, the story isn't going away.

Gary "

Take from that what you will. I'm still hopeful the article will come out sometime in 2007.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:29 AM

Thanks.
That's what I half expected was happening.

Saying the story isn't going away covers some of it.
But the window in which the story is relevant has been closing rapidly for some time now.

I realize it was a long process and the editorial stage could be a hangup.
Still- this story coming out a month from now is almost irrelevant at that point.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:48 AM

Disney owns ESPN too...

this may have already been posted but I would like to point it out potentially again
Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 AM

While I still think the ESPN article can have an impact, annd I'm sure that it's a great and informative article, its role in exposing this scandal is greatly diminished if not featured on ESPN.com's main page (not too many people visit the ESPN Poker Club page everyday, or even know how to get there). The fact that ESPN receives a significant amount of ad revenue from Absolute Poker and that the whole scandal has begun to fade away does not help these chances.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:42 AM

fwiw, I remember sweating my buddy while you were playing those high stakes games. "well, Calvin's in the game, I'm sitting!" It was, indeed, amusing to watch you play.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thank you, Punkin_U. You always did seem like one of the cleverer players at AP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet you never responded to me in chat when I tried to ask you which alter ego of Calvin is your fav? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'd go with Stupendous Man beating out Spaceman Spiff by a hair, I think.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yet you never responded to me in chat when I tried to ask you which alter ego of Calvin is your fav?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that. I was trying to keep quiet, because as you can see, once I start talking, I have a hard time shutting up.