Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Philosophy? Science? Finance? Help a HS sr choose a major.

right now im a senior in hs and have like an 82 GPA. MY SAT score was 1810 combined (i was in like 90th percentile in reading and writing and 40/50th in math :/)

anyway reading and writing are really my strong points. last year a teacher accused me of plagiarism because i turned in a "college paper." i eventually got her to admit she was wrong fwiw

im kind of lazy and for that reason my GPA is lower than it should be and ive strugged some in math classes (i take precacl now)

Basically ive always enjoyed making money and had lemonade stands as a kid and would sell thing on ebay, sell gmail invites when it was in BETA, all kinds of things like that. now i play 400nl.

im really independent and dont want to work for anyone really or make <6 figs.

I think this might mean i have a passion for finance and i should study that. i worry though that i should be doing something more important to contribute to society and become intellectually fulfilled (rather than just focusing on making money) plus ive heard that young kids on wall street, if they can even get a job, are bitches who make coffee. this sucks and is def not for me although i might like wall street if this is not true

However i also really like science Although im not too motivated or great in math so astronomy and physics may be tough (although i like reading carl sagan books and watching cosmos). i really like science and astronomy but i dont know what enjoyable careers i can persue. i dont particularly enjoy labs and things like that in science classes.

on the other hand i like philosophy and books like the god delusion. but i hear that philosophy is a poor major since there are no good jobs for phil majors (i dont want to teach)

i could go into law since i really love to argue and make money, but this raises the same questions of contributions to society and intellectual fulfillment.

basically i really like and respect science but have little motivation and am mediocre at math if only because i dont try.

i am good at writing and might enjoy philosophy or law or finance but im not sure if i am cutting myself short.

perhaps a dual major in science and journalism to becomes a science magazine writer?

meh
Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Philosophy? Science? Finance? Help a HS sr choose a major.

[ QUOTE ]
i could go into law since i really love to argue and make money, but this raises the same questions of contributions to society and intellectual fulfillment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some lawyers actually help people. Shocking, i know.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i realize and agree with this but i dont want to always think "why didnt i become a scientist" or something...idk
Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 PM

if you don't have strong math skills any attempt at science will be really limited in most cases
Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you don't have strong math skills any attempt at science will be really limited in most cases

[/ QUOTE ]
what about evolutionary biology? or something related
Old 11-10-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
what about evolutionary biology? or something related

[/ QUOTE ]

is that what really interests you? i am in hs too but from my research and friends in college going into a science major unless that is something you just know you want to do. science majors from what i have heard take a great deal of time and the effort required has to come genuinely or you just wont be able to do the work. also most science majors don't seem to mean much unless you go to grad school so doing 6-10 years of schooling on a subject that isnt exactly what you want to be doing seems like a bad idea
Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im really independent and dont want to work for anyone really or make <6 figs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can scratch scientist off the list, also probably lawyer. You could run your own practice, but you are probably going to have to gain experience working for somebody first if you want to make real money.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Also most of the good Finance programs are fairly heavily math-based.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 AM

"why didn't i become a scientist" lololol

practicality will eventually overcome your desire to "follow your heart", i guarantee you.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah i realize and agree with this but i dont want to always think "why didnt i become a scientist" or something...idk

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and then you could become a scientist for a big pharma company where your only goal is to make the next billion dollar drug no one needs...and you'll think "why didn't I become a lawyer?"