Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Major for aspiring pro poker player?

I read in Barry Greestein's book Ace on the River that the "best" education a professional poker player could have (college-wise) would be a major in psychology and a minor in mathematics. What do you guys think? I want to at least get some sort of degree before I (hopefully) move to Vegas, etc., but I'm unsure of what I want to do...

Thanks for input! =)
Old 11-04-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Major for aspiring pro poker player?

I think it's a bad idea to major in something with the intentions of becoming a professional poker player. I think you should major in something you want to do (e.g. if you want to work in marketing or something get a degree in that).
Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM

Do not major in psychology unless you are 100% sure that you want to go to some type of grad school. The only job you can get related to psychology with a BA would be a $10/hr research assistant position with no room to move up until you have an advanced degree.

Also, everyone thinks that college psychology courses are about mind reading or something.

I majored in psychology and here was a sampling of classes and content

Sleep Seminar- sleep research, sleep science, etc.

Psychology of Law- Jury tendencies, eyewitness testimony flaws, etc.

Memory- Science of cognition and memory

Physiological Psych- more brain science

Psych of adolescence- why teenage girls are sad

Resiliency and Development- how to make them not sad.

Major in whatever you would major in if poker was not an option. Nothing you major in will help that much, and this way you have a backup plan if poker doesn't work out or you get sick of it.

Feel free to take classes in logic, game theory, stats, etc. but no need to major in anything in particular.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 PM

i dont mean to be belitting at all, but the OP makes me think that you are overthinking things.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont mean to be belitting at all, but the OP makes me think that you are overthinking things.

[/ QUOTE ]

bruin,

here is his only other post (in MTT)

methinks he is ready for the big show.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:52 PM

don't be a pro poker player unless that the only thing you want to do in life. you can't "like" poker and be into the money. you need a HIGH tolerance for stress, more than you think possible, and to be dedicated to putting the hours in. i have a lot of friends who are pros, they either have a long term plan that doesn't involve poker in the next 5-10 years or love the game so much that they are fine spending the next 30+ years playing it. being a pro poker player is not glamorous, don't be fooled. when poker becomes the only thing in your life your emotional state becomes based on it. the people who are happiest i have found are people who have a good job that doesn't require excessive time commitment and play poker on the side for good extra income.

/rant
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do not major in psychology unless you are 100% sure that you want to go to some type of grad school. The only job you can get related to psychology with a BA would be a $10/hr research assistant position with no room to move up until you have an advanced degree.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but that's not correct. There are many subdivisions of Psychology where you can get a good decent-paying salary with a B.A. Eng Psych, Human Factors, Ergonomics, Applied Cognition, to name a few.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:15 PM

It's really silly to pick a major based on poker. Take classes in quasi-poker related fields (you won't probably won't learn anything that helps for poker but you seem to be determined) and major in what you enjoy.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No offense, but that's not correct. There are many subdivisions of Psychology where you can get a good decent-paying salary with a B.A. Eng Psych, Human Factors, Ergonomics, Applied Cognition, to name a few.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know there are some opportunities out there, but I feel like they are few and far between. Out of like 25 people that graduated with me that majored in psych, 5 went to law school, 10 went to grad school, 7 got random finance/business jobs, and 3 are waiters.

Maybe its just my limited experience that I haven't come across these opportunities.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:45 AM

I think the best thing a professional poker player could do is to drop out of school and put the time and money saved into poker. It's not a good bet though unless you are already making a comfortable living from poker.

I think a math or computer science degree would be ideal for poker.