FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Line check Stud/8

Should I fold 3rd?
How do u play that?
Did I make any fundamental mistakes?
Im new to Stud/8!
Thanks in advance.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (3.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (7.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

River - (11.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___raises___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls___calls

Total pot: (27.35 BB)
Old 09-06-2007, 04:13 PM

Default Re: Line check Stud/8

I think limping 3rd is fine. With an Ace behind and a 6 already in the pot you have to be careful about getting stuck with an inferior low on the later streets though.

4th is probably a raise in order to try and get the BI out.

The rest is pretty automatic. Looks like the river's getting capped either way and you faced Seat 7 with 2 bets and he still calling it down. I'd say he edged you out for low. Unfortunately your straight has about a zero chance of winning the high side either.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:20 PM

raise 4th.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Third's a call. The only reason you might not raise fourth is to keep people in, but raising is probably a little better. Once you hit, just keep pounding. If you're up against decent opposition, you might be concerned by the amount of river action, but you can't fold this, that's for sure.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 PM

Third's a call. I prefer a raise on 4th; it gives you information about the bring-in's hands (ie; if he just has to call 1 bet, then it's hard to tell if he actually does have something or if he's just fishing for a card because the betting is still cheap at this point). Also, (and perhaps even more importantly),although you were drawing to a straight, the low draw by itself is not a good one. For that reason, I want to MAKE SURE that if anyone behinds me wants to peel a card, then they are going to have to put in 2 bets to do so. I'll give an example of what I mean only because the game is new to you. Say the Ace has 2 low cards in the hole. Well, even though he caught a high card on 4th street, he might call 1 bet just to see if he can catch another low card on 5th street and have something to shoot for. But, if I know that he's likely to call 1 bet, then I'd absolutely raise 4th street with your hand because your low hand won't play as well if it's up against another low draw unless he's drawing to an 8.

5th and 6th are fine. The lead out river bet is Ok, too, but I have to wonder where you put everyone at in this hand, because, the way this hand played out (and particularly at the river)I'm surprised that you took on the last bet. Unless you're playing with poor players, I wouldn't be the least surprised if you got none of this pot. Thing is, if your straight winds up not being good, then your low is in deep doo-doo (if anyone else has a low, unless it's an 8 low, you have the worst 7 low you can have). I think your biggest fundamental mistake was not putting your opponents on a range of hands, not to mention, that being new to stud8 makes it even harder to understand why your type of hand may need to tread a little lighter at the river against 3 other players.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 AM

Not raising 4th is the only clear mistake.

On 3rd unless I think the limper has a solid limping distribution I just complete, because he usually has something stupid, and the A reraising is really not a big deal on average if this assumption is true.

7th street would be a clear bet-fold except for the fact that seat 7's 4th street play is inconsistent with him having a good low draw.

If the hand history had been chopped off before 5th street I would definitely favor folding 7th once it's two bets back to you.

As it is I still think seat 7 is very likely to be ahead for low and that your high is guaranteed to be dead, so I like a fold.

Unfortunately the low limit makes it possible seat 7 is on something bizarre, or maybe just a flush.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 AM

I think seat 7 played his hand exactly like a low draw and was just calling along the whole way. Keep in mind, a lot of players at the lower limits tend to check their low draws until they hit something, so just because he may not have made a bet on 4th, doesn't mean that he didn't have a low draw.

Also, once the AQ77 hand raises Hero on the river (unless he's a poor player) then Hero has to come to the realization that he just lost part of the pot (whether it be for the low or the high remains to be seen). And, that's what makes capping this hand an error, as he'll never be able to fold off a better high hand OR a better low hand...so a bet could've/should've been saved, imo.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:21 AM

Thank you very much for the input!
I was quite surprised that I didn't get anything of this pot.
As I said, I'm new to it.
Seat one made Jacks full of sixes and seat 7 made a 74 low(A7 in the hole).
The other guy lost with a flush.
I should have recognized that seat 7 is on a better low draw. Maybe next time...

Should I "always" bet/raise with four to a low?
Do you fold low draws with no chance of scooping the pot?
Thank you.