Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: What do you want/where do you want to live when you are retired?

[ QUOTE ]
In Italia they drink wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

And limoncello... mmm, limoncello...
Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to start a non-profit in some form that teaches people how to be truly happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

zeebo,

how so?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to live a minimalist lifestyle surrounded by family and dogs that doesn't waste money. Just learn as much as I can about the world through reading, watching tv/movies, and basically relaxing. I'm pretty close to that now, so life is great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reaching for the stars chasing materialistic things seems silly to me. I plan to use my money to buy myself free time and not have pressures of any job. I'd like to start a non-profit in some form that teaches people how to be truly happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your definition of happiness is different than others. You can't say its rediculous to try reaching for the stars.

Some people (like me) are perfectly happy trying to reach for the stars and would have it no other way.

Everyone floats their own boat a different way.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 AM

i think that zeebo is trying to say that people try to reach for the stars, and even if they get there, often dont find themselves happy. People are driven by what society TELLS them should make them happy, but it ultimately leaves many dazed and confused.

fwiw, the most popular undergrad class at Harvard is something along the lines of "How to be happy."
Old 11-05-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I used to salivate at the idea of retiring early. It is such a "baller" thing to do. Then lately, I realized, why the hell would I want to retire? I would do the same thing as I do now haha.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about time issues?

There just isn't enough time to get everything done if you also have to worry about employment.

[/ QUOTE ]
Time is always going to be an issue no matter what you do.

But I do agree with you that due to employment, most do not have enough time to do things outside their jobs. As a result, they have less time [or energy] to read to improve themselves or expand their knowledge. This is unfortunate because reading is the best activity ever. It's not expensive and the rewards is exponential to the effort/time you put into it.

This is one of the main reasons why I considered myself a very lucky person; I have time to read and actually enjoy reading.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to live a minimalist lifestyle surrounded by family and dogs that doesn't waste money. Just learn as much as I can about the world through reading, watching tv/movies, and basically relaxing. I'm pretty close to that now, so life is great. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Reaching for the stars chasing materialistic things seems silly to me. I plan to use my money to buy myself free time and not have pressures of any job. I'd like to start a non-profit in some form that teaches people how to be truly happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Winnar.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting input Howard.

In my own oppinion, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming the impossible if you are actively going out there inching your way towards it step by step. In fact, I would argue they encourage you rather than discourage you.

Impossible dreams are discouraging when you sit around doing nothing about it.

Impossible dreams are encouraging when you inch towards them everyday.

Dreaming about that impossible dream allows me to keep aiming higher and higher everytime I reach a certain level of achievement in my own life. It keeps me on the edge and doesn't allow me to become comfortable with what I currently achieve short term.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tien,

I agree. I always dream for the stars so that if I don't make it, at least I'll hit the sky.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Time is always going to be an issue no matter what you do.

But I do agree with you that due to employment, most do not have enough time to do things outside their jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with this statement I am wondering how you reconcile it with your desire to never retire?

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. I always dream for the stars so that if I don't make it, at least I'll hit the sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I don't agree with. It is one thing to push yourself by setting your goals that little bit further but if someone has dreams that are clearly pie in the sky they lose credibility. If others don't take you seriously then the gradient just became that much steeper. There is a difference between being confident and being delusional.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tien,

[/ QUOTE ]

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars."

How I heard it, at any rate.

Would disagree that shooting for the moon/stars and eschewing materialism are somehow exclusive.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that zeebo is trying to say that people try to reach for the stars, and even if they get there, often dont find themselves happy. People are driven by what society TELLS them should make them happy, but it ultimately leaves many dazed and confused.

fwiw, the most popular undergrad class at Harvard is something along the lines of "How to be happy."

[/ QUOTE ]

I will agree with you when you say a lot of people reach a certain goal and feel "unhappy" after they have gotten there. That is because it was the wrong dream / goal to begin with.

Those people are approaching happiness and accomplishment the wrong way. Happiness is a journey, not a destination.

If you feel happy doing what you are doing, trying to do the impossible, trying to make your dreams happen, then who has the right to say you are not happy? Who has the right to say you are being silly? Who has the right to say you are dillusional?

No one but you.