Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Finding a teacher

Very very true. "Those who can't do, teach" Coaches/teachers are only judged on how well they can improve SOMEONE ELSE's game, not their own.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

I would rather get a lesson from somebody in the top 20 in my section than somebody in the bottom 20.
I'm just saying that if you don't know anything about any pros, that is where I would start. With that said, I have been with my instructor for 11 years and he doesn't play competitively at all any more. He did at least try to play for a living for several years.
David Leadbetter at least tried to play for a living before becoming a teacher, something which cannot be said your everyday pro.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:10 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

A teaching pro's handicap isn't a good indication of their teaching ability. David Leadbetter is regarded as one of the top teachers in the world and is a 12 handicap.

[/ QUOTE ]

David Ledbetter is a former touring pro who played the South American and European tours, he is no where near a 12 handicap! I agree with the suggestion of asking a local college coach who his top players are seeing.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM

Another thing is to at least look at is Golf Digest's Top 100 teaching pros. I got one of these guys and I'd say he was worth it - but I had to schedule him about a month in advance.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:10 AM

Availability can be an issue. Our DOI worked with/still works with a top 100 instructor, he lives in Vegas, I know people he teaches and he can be hard to book time with. If you are going to get lessons, make sure your schedule is not too busy for your instructors availability, it can be frustrating 6 months from now trying to book that 2nd lesson.

tobdog