Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Full swing with the irons

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question how much power are you losing? How far would you hit a 7 iron with the same swing? If you are hitting the ball more pure this way, it might mean you have a full swing flaw - like maybe when you take a full backswing, you come over the top, but with the shorter swing, you stay inside the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, ball has been going about the same, or more. Would you suggest correcting my full swing, or just using the shorter swing for my "go to" swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do whatever you have to do. It's a tough game and if you find something that works then stay with it. My swing has definitely shortened over the past few years and I am happy with the results. I tend to hit the ball more solid so I haven't lost any distance but I am much more accurate. The is no need to crank up on irons, all you want is accuracy and distance control, which a little shorter swing does for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The question how much power are you losing? How far would you hit a 7 iron with the same swing? If you are hitting the ball more pure this way, it might mean you have a full swing flaw - like maybe when you take a full backswing, you come over the top, but with the shorter swing, you stay inside the ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

like I said, ball has been going about the same, or more. Would you suggest correcting my full swing, or just using the shorter swing for my "go to" swing?

[/ QUOTE ]

How well are you hitting your full swing in terms of thin/fat/sweet spot? See I played around with something similar a couple years ago - I could choke down on by 7 iron - take 2/3 a swing - and hit these nice pure shots with a little draw - grass stain right in the center - perfect - except 30-35 yards shorter than my regular 7 iron. When I went to the full swing - I was coming over the top - hitting toward the toe - and getting the same distinace as the 2/3 swing. So I needed to fix my full swing because it was so bad - not so much the shorter swing was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hit my 7 iron, with about 60% consistency. That means 60% of the time, I know that I hit it with a good swing, straight dead center, hard, accurate etc (with a full swing). I do it about 85% of the time with the shorter swing, with teh long swing I never did accelerate through the ball though, should I be? with a longer swing, I just kind of let it fly, with the shorter swing, I make sure I swing hard through the ball. I actually just got back from teh range, and was hitting my p-wedge about 100 to 150, and I actually could control how far it would go pretty well, compared to my full swing. I hit the pool like 4 times in a row at 110 yards when I hit that groove. I popped a little wood after that.

Its also possible that I was swinging too far back before, as I just got back from teh range and Im bringing the club up to a little lower than shoulder height for the longest hits, I may have only noticed this because I was conscientiously trying to figure out how far I brought it back today.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
figure out how hard I have to swing through for different distances.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh god, please don't do that. You'll start chunking the ball, chili dipping, shanking it won't be pretty.

Distance control is best achieved by club selection and swing length.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:43 PM

+1 Kyzerjose

Try to swing with the same speed and tempo all of the time, just vary your club and swing length. If you're trying to swing "slowly" you're going to be decelerating through the shot.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
+1 Kyzerjose

Try to swing with the same speed and tempo all of the time, just vary your club and swing length. If you're trying to swing "slowly" you're going to be decelerating through the shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I'm in between clubs I'll usually take the longer one and just choke down an inch.